Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pepsi123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2023
I do a lot of weird things šŸ˜¶ā€šŸŒ«ļø Now I have bought myself an Ipad Pro 11" M"2, 128 GB. However, I am seriously considering returning it to the store and get an Ipad 10th gen instead, with 256GB. This is to save a few thousand. Over the last few years I have had an Ipad 8th, Ipad 9th, Air 5, Mini 6, M1 11" Pro and M2 11" Pro. To be completely honest, I don't think the difference is that big for my use.
I use the Ipad as my only computer, but I also have a work PC.
The iPad is mostly used for Netflix, Youtube, web surfing, Sportify, social media, storing pictures and simple notes/spreadsheets. When it comes to games, there are quite simple games that are played. Ex. Candycrush, CoinMaster, etc.

Will an A14 bionic be enough and be able to last for a few years to come, or should I just keep the M2 Pro, which is way overkill?
Please, I need some good advice her šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you want it to last "a few years" M2 is better, but then again so is 256GB. I guess it depends if you need the storage more than the performance.

Reactions: Pepsi123

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I know you've solved it already, @Pepsi123, but until recently(ish) I had a 2018 12.9" Pro and I replaced that one with an iPad 10 as well. Couldn't be happier with that choice. The size is much nicer for my use cases, it's "only" the standard iPad so I'm not super precious about it, it comes in nice colors (I got pink :D ), and it does everything I want at least as well or better than the 2018 Pro.

Pencil pairing is still facepalm-worthy, but I can live with it because I hardly ever turn the thing off anyway.

Also, good on you. I find it refreshing to see someone going, "You know what? Non-Pro will do just fine."

Reactions: StoneJack

NVDA

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2024
I returned the Ipad Pro M2 128 GB, and bought the much cheaper Ipad 10th gen 256GB. So far I'm really happy with it. For my daily use it's perfect.
You have until tomorrow at Best Buy to get that iPad Pro M2 128gb for $599. Best deal out there. How much cheaper is the iPad 10 256gb? When you throw in the M2 chip, quad speakers, and ProMotion to name a few things, itā€™s a big upgrade.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I do a lot of weird things šŸ˜¶ā€šŸŒ«ļø Now I have bought myself an Ipad Pro 11" M"2, 128 GB. However, I am seriously considering returning it to the store and get an Ipad 10th gen instead, with 256GB. This is to save a few thousand. Over the last few years I have had an Ipad 8th, Ipad 9th, Air 5, Mini 6, M1 11" Pro and M2 11" Pro. To be completely honest, I don't think the difference is that big for my use.
I use the Ipad as my only computer, but I also have a work PC.
The iPad is mostly used for Netflix, Youtube, web surfing, Sportify, social media, storing pictures and simple notes/spreadsheets. When it comes to games, there are quite simple games that are played. Ex. Candycrush, CoinMaster, etc.

Will an A14 bionic be enough and be able to last for a few years to come, or should I just keep the M2 Pro, which is way overkill?
Please, I need some good advice her šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

It all depends on your usage. The big catch there is that outside of promotion and maybe better speakers, there is not much difference screen wise. If you had the 12.9 then you would see a big difference because it's an XDR screen with HDR.

For Netflix etc all of the iPads mentioned basically have the same screen and around the same brightness.

Atomic1977

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2017
West Bend Wisconsin
I donā€™t see why anyone would want the 10th generation iPad or a pro in the first place. I just recently got my iPad Air 11 inch m2 128gb and itā€™s perfect too me. Much better than the 9th gen and iPad mini 2 that I once had.

NVDA

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2024
I donā€™t see why anyone would want the 10th generation iPad or a pro in the first place. I just recently got my iPad Air 11 inch m2 128gb and itā€™s perfect too me. Much better than the 9th gen and iPad mini 2 that I once had.
And to me, the Air is a pointless, nerfed middle ground option. Either get the cheapest one or the best one. 60hz refresh rate in 2024 is crazy. I got an M2 Pro new from Best Buy for $600 a few days ago. Same chip and 128gb but you get quad speakers, ProMotion, an extra core for the GPU, Face ID, 5 microphones vs 2, and more. Why would you buy an Air for the same price?

Last edited:

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
And to me, the Air is a pointless, nerfed middle ground option. Either get the cheapest one or the best one. 60hz refresh rate in 2024 is crazy. I got an M2 Pro new from Best Buy for $600 a few days ago. Same chip and 128gb but you get quad speakers, ProMotion, an extra core for the GPU, Face ID, 5 microphones vs 2, and more. Why would you buy an Air for the same price?
If Apple sold them both for the same price, then Iā€™d say you have a point. But since they donā€™t and this is a limited time offer by a third party, I think the Air has a very good place in the lineup.

NVDA

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2024
If Apple sold them both for the same price, then Iā€™d say you have a point. But since they donā€™t and this is a limited time offer by a third party, I think the Air has a very good place in the lineup.
Itā€™s the second time in the past month that Best Buy has sold the 11 inch M2 Pro starting at $599 and the 12.9 inch starting at $799. The Air is closer to the 10th generation iPad than it is to the Pro. I donā€™t see the appeal. I forgot to mention originally that the bezels are bigger on the Air as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.