Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Alright, so now I've upgraded from D40 (Sold) to a D80 and I'm satisfied with my purchase. After taking lots of helpful advice from here, I made the decision because I work better with that type of body, and I wanted the 10MP jump.
se6m9f.jpg

So now I started to put my skills to more of a test. For my photo course in college, we have to make Tarot cards. I decided to go with the Seven Sins theme.

So far, I have done 5 shots. I would have more, but not all my friends are comfortable with what I was looking for (more like 99.7%). So, here's what I got:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/julianyoung/sets/72157618707409390/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/julianyoung/sets/72157618577321152/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/julianyoung/sets/72157618364450907/

Not all the images made the cut (at least in my taste), but so far I think I'm happy and that I took a step forward for once, instead of the usual 2 steps to the side and 1 step back into a pit of used failure syringes.

We have to use a total of 3 images to merge/blend them together, if you guys are interested I have the rough drafts, but more-so, I wanted to get some constructive criticism on my still lack-of-photo skills.

All shot in RAW, Nikon D80
Used Nikkor 15-55 (the so-called busted one but with some exercising of the lens the AF seems to be working), and Nikkor 70-210 (borrowing it, but may buy myself one).
SB-600 Flash (Perhaps was hard to work with seeing as the place that I shot had lights beaming in different areas).

Pikemann Urge

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
melbourne.au
I don't mind the first and third sets. Some of them are quite well lit (surprisingly seeing as you're using flash - probably off-camera?) and composed.

I am not impressed by the second set. Very flat. Well don't worry about it - you'll just improve as you go. :)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, I'm not sure why, but why can't when people post threads like this, display their photo in the thread? It doesn't need to be a huge one, just a small one with a link to your flickr or whatever photo host you have and that will be enough :)

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I don't mind the first and third sets. Some of them are quite well lit (surprisingly seeing as you're using flash - probably off-camera?) and composed.

I am not impressed by the second set. Very flat. Well don't worry about it - you'll just improve as you go. :)
I agree, which is why I said not all of them I'm proud of.

Hmm, I'm not sure why, but why can't when people post threads like this, display their photo in the thread? It doesn't need to be a huge one, just a small one with a link to your flickr or whatever photo host you have and that will be enough :)
Because flickr was running slow when I posted this. The photostream page wouldnt load after posting this, and they put their page on halt. If it bothers you that much, don't reply.

Does that a can say "cocaine" in that picture?
Yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.