Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
I photostitched a panorama, at which time I realized that the tripod wasn't level. I really wanted to do a large print of this (it's 40 megapixels). Is there any way of salvaging this shot?

Attachments

• Castle Park Work in Progress.jpg
    Castle Park Work in Progress.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 263

LaJaca

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Near Seattle
'fraid so; you'd need to do some creative cropping, or split it in half. Screwed? No. Misfortunate? Sure. But still a great pic. What did you use for a lens?

Actually, I think I'm wrong. You may be able to clone the light blue sky in the upper left (someone else: please pitch in on how to get this done) to help square out that corner and allow a better cropping aspect.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Could you clone the mountain side on the right to the open gap on the bottom right corner? I'l admit its not an optimal fix.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
That is a lot of cloning, and making a really large print from it - You'd be able to tell, easily.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I say 1/3rd of the photo, starting from the very left, looks pretty good. I don't even care for the mountain because of how big the shadow is. I don't like the shadow on the left side either, but it's less distracting.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
you could definitely salvage this but it would either take some innovative cropping or some master cloning of the sky and mountain and I mean master because if it is not almost perfect you will see it when its printed full size

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
just rotate the canvas like so. You might want to do a little bit of cloning, but nothing major.

-Ted

Attachments

• Castle Park Work in Progress fix.jpg
    Castle Park Work in Progress fix.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 129

jwt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
just rotate the canvas like so. You might want to do a little bit of cloning, but nothing major.

-Ted
I did that originally, but it's obvious that the mesas and the river aren't level.

Is it possible to skew the sky and have it come out looking naturally? Would I be better off shooting the sky again and slip it in behind the mountains in photoshop?

What did you use for a lens?

Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS -- super sharp, highly detailed image, that I hate to throw away.

That is a lot of cloning, and making a really large print from it - You'd be able to tell, easily.
That's what I though, especially because there are a lot of trees in the lower right.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I photostitched a panorama, at which time I realized that the tripod wasn't level. I really wanted to do a large print of this (it's 40 megapixels). Is there any way of salvaging this shot?

You could always bend the image a little, so the horizon is not a straight line. But do that just a little and then, what I'd do is loose 14 to 1/3rd of the right side, clone the sky on the left side to make that corner taller and do the same on the bottom right but only a little and yo might doge the clone job on the right to make it dark and hard to see. I think you could salvage most of the image. I assume you have photoshop or elements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.