Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Hi all, wondering if it's possible to join 2 large libraries together in a folder "music" then before adding to iTunes, managing it so there were no duplicates, then place all songs into folders inside of iTunes.

I understand there could be dupes, due to single album, then greatest hits for e.g. which would be acceptable to maintain full albums.

this seems complicated and time consuming, (which i'm prepared for to achieve the end result)

BTW, i'm on apple music and match, i'd just like to get my 'hard copies' neat and tidy.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Let iTunes manage the music with the single library and then just drag the second library into the main iTunes window and let it do the work. Once that's done then use the options menu to show you duplicates.

Doing it that way will show you what albums you'd be effecting by deleting duplicates.

lostom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Let iTunes manage the music with the single library and then just drag the second library into the main iTunes window and let it do the work. Once that's done then use the options menu to show you duplicates.

Doing it that way will show you what albums you'd be effecting by deleting duplicates.

Ok,i'll give it a try, thanks Gav.

So you mean to get the 2nd file from finder, say it's 'music' with all the additional folders with artist-album-song and drag it from finder into the actual iTunes window, as opposed to the icon?, not sure if that's different or not, just trying to get this right.

I feel the option menu, with dupes, will be way to large, will need some help from apps for dupes for sure, but i'll give it a go to start with, thanks again mate.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ok,i'll give it a try, thanks Gav.

So you mean to get the 2nd file from finder, say it's 'music' with all the additional folders with artist-album-song and drag it from finder into the actual iTunes window, as opposed to the icon?, not sure if that's different or not, just trying to get this right.

I feel the option menu, with dupes, will be way to large, will need some help from apps for dupes for sure, but i'll give it a go to start with, thanks again mate.
Yes mate just drag the whole folder iTunes will perform a deep scan.

You'll see duplicates are easy to deal with within iTunes.

Reactions: lostom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.