Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
USA
I am going out to AZ next week and I just purchased a D50 and a Nikor 50mm 1.8D lens to take pics of my daughter. This is the only lens I have at the moment. So I went out and purchased a 2 pack of filters. UV, and a polarizer.

The package says I can use the UV as a lens "protector" all the time. Is this true? I shoot a lot indoors.

2. Do I need to take the UV filter off if I shoot Outside in Phoenix and put on the Polarizer, or can I just stack the two?

3. Any negative effects of stacking? Would I get the black corners with just two filters?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
With a 50mm focal length, you should be able to stack the two, but you can test it easily by photographing a white wall or a white screen on your monitor.

As for using the UV lens as a protector, yes, that is the typical use for one. But what kind did you get? If it's not multicoated, you'll probably want to leave it off when you're in a situation where flare might be an issue. See this experiment for a better idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.kenandchristine.com/gallery/1054387

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Not sure here is a pic. It was $40 for both. I'm guessing no. :(
web.jpg

Apr 10, 2007
I am going out to AZ next week and I just purchased a D50 and a Nikor 50mm 1.8D lens to take pics of my daughter. This is the only lens I have at the moment. So I went out and purchased a 2 pack of filters. UV, and a polarizer.

The package says I can use the UV as a lens "protector" all the time. Is this true? I shoot a lot indoors.

2. Do I need to take the UV filter off if I shoot Outside in Phoenix and put on the Polarizer, or can I just stack the two?

3. Any negative effects of stacking? Would I get the black corners with just two filters?

To start off UV filters will not improve the look of your images, all filters (even the most expensive ones) effect image quality negatively, though the effect on image quality is so minimal you shouldn't notice it, as for the polarizer it will make skys look a richer blue and will cut down on glare off shiny surfaces, as for double stacking I would not do that, there is no point to having both on at one time and it will only hurt your image quality, just take one off when you put the other on.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
USA
To start off UV filters will not improve the look of your images, all filters (even the most expensive ones) effect image quality negatively, though the effect on image quality is so minimal you shouldn't notice it, as for the polarizer it will make skys look a richer blue and will cut down on glare off shiny surfaces, as for double stacking I would not do that, there is no point to having both on at one time and it will only hurt your image quality, just take one off when you put the other on.

I think you are right, I am being lazy about stacking. I now see what the flare thing is about. I have shot a lot of landscape shots on Sedona, AZ with a polarizing filter, but that was with a Minolta Maxximum HTsi back in the 90's. The shots turned out great I have a few developed as large prints and in a frame. This D50 is my first DSLR. It's is so cool to see your work instantly. Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.