Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geminiwave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2021
I’m shocked with how long the Pro has been out, that nobody has used the jailbreaks to install MacOS yet. Is there an active project even out there? Normally I hear about projects like this and theres some updates here and there, but it’s just been silent. I wonder is it lack of interest, or is there something in the ipad that makes it nigh impossible? Specs wise it should be able to run even on the 2018 Pros (Never mind the lack of touch screen support).

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2018
It wouldn't be from the jailbreak community. It would need dedicated work along the lines of the Hackintosh community. They were incentivised by being able to use OS X/macOS on cheaper hardware. Outside of a bit of fun, there's no real incentivisation to put in the long hours required to get macOS on the iPad.

But let's say it did happen. Developers do enjoy a challenge.

I'm unsure of the nature of architectural differences between macOS and iPad. My guess would be the following probably quite difficult areas:
  • Jailbreak: It'd need one of these, obviously. One that persisted across reboots if this is to be a practical realistic setup for most users.
  • Boot loader: One of these would need to be created from scratch so you could choose between iPadOS and macOS. This might require hacking the firmware, which is a whole new level of pain for developers.
  • Driver support: I don't know if iPad uses commodity hardware like the Mac (e.g. wifi/bluetooth adapter, sound module). If it does then there might be drivers that can be hacked. If not, drivers will need to be created from scratch. That's painful too.
And then there will be issues like getting an on-screen keyboard working under macOS. There is one built-in, if I recall, but it's not designed for touch input.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
It wouldn't be from the jailbreak community. It would need dedicated work along the lines of the Hackintosh community. They were incentivised by being able to use OS X/macOS on cheaper hardware. Outside of a bit of fun, there's no real incentivisation to put in the long hours required to get macOS on the iPad.

But let's say it did happen. Developers do enjoy a challenge.

I'm unsure of the nature of architectural differences between macOS and iPad. My guess would be the following probably quite difficult areas:
  • Jailbreak: It'd need one of these, obviously. One that persisted across reboots if this is to be a practical realistic setup for most users.
  • Boot loader: One of these would need to be created from scratch so you could choose between iPadOS and macOS. This might require hacking the firmware, which is a whole new level of pain for developers.
  • Driver support: I don't know if iPad uses commodity hardware like the Mac (e.g. wifi/bluetooth adapter, sound module). If it does then there might be drivers that can be hacked. If not, drivers will need to be created from scratch. That's painful too.
And then there will be issues like getting an on-screen keyboard working under macOS. There is one built-in, if I recall, but it's not designed for touch input.
Probably next to impossible.

If the bluetooth adaptor can be hacked, that would allow external keyboard / mouse. Or easiest of all, use a USBC-B adaptor to allow a USB keyboard. USB driver probably easier and better documented than bluetooth.

But I agree, not much point to this work. 2014 Mac Mini now available on the used market for around £$100, and that gets you a decent MacOS system with i5 cpu and a lovely aluminium chassis and an upgradeable nvme SSD. I know as I bought one just now.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2018
In fact, a better way forward might be virtualisation. Snazzy Labs on YouTube covered this a few years ago but it was a non-starter. However, now that 8GB/16GB iPads are becoming common, this isn't too unrealistic. Might be a few years yet until it's a commonplace thing, though.

Reactions: rui no onna

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I’m shocked with how long the Pro has been out, that nobody has used the jailbreaks to install MacOS yet. Is there an active project even out there? Normally I hear about projects like this and theres some updates here and there, but it’s just been silent. I wonder is it lack of interest, or is there something in the ipad that makes it nigh impossible? Specs wise it should be able to run even on the 2018 Pros (Never mind the lack of touch screen support).
I don't know why anyone would expect there to be a MacOS for the iPad. Two different architectures.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Are people still doing jail breaks? Seems like little gain now, unless you sre into side loading apps.

Reactions: KeithBN

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2018
I don't know why anyone would expect there to be a MacOS for the iPad. Two different architectures.

Really? It depends how you define architecture. But a lot of what was one architectural is now on the M1 SoC. Even memory, and memory manager. As I mentioned earlier, I suspect the key difference is likely to be firmware in terms of boot-up and also probably security because these are very locked down now with Apple hardware.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Really? It depends how you define architecture. But a lot of what was one architectural is now on the M1 SoC. Even memory, and memory manager. As I mentioned earlier, I suspect the key difference is likely to be firmware in terms of boot-up and also probably security because these are very locked down now with Apple hardware.
Yes. Architecture is more than a single chip... regardless of what that chip does. They're not even close but I guess I can understand someone thinking, "hmm, the iPad has an M1 and the Macbook has an M1 so why not".

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I expect getting around security is a major hindrance.

Like @woolypants mentioned, virtualization via jailbreak is likely more feasible than dual boot.

Of course, Apple can easily allow dual boot if they wanted to since they're the ones signing the firmware. Granted, ensuring things work properly is a different matter.

Last edited:

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
A 12.9" iPad Pro running macOS is my dream device. I will probably just get an M1 MacBook Air, but sometimes I don't want the keyboard! I read sheet music and documents from a stand and would just like the screen. But ain't no way I'm shelling $1000 out for a device that basically does nothing more than documents because it's fatally crippled by iPadOS.

C'mon Apple. Just give in and do it. macOS on iPad would be a game-changer.

Geminiwave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2021
Buy a Macbook
Why though? I already have an iPad. And the screen is way nicer. I really like the iPad Pro 12.9 along with the magic keyboard. And heck I could do the 10” with a keyboard too. Great machine. No reason to get a MacBook (except, you know, besides that I can’t get MacOS on the ipad….)

I get what you mean but I do think it’s a bit BS that they run the same chipset and they don’t let you put macOS on it.

Reactions: foliovision

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Why though? I already have an iPad. And the screen is way nicer. I really like the iPad Pro 12.9 along with the magic keyboard. And heck I could do the 10” with a keyboard too. Great machine. No reason to get a MacBook (except, you know, besides that I can’t get MacOS on the ipad….)

I get what you mean but I do think it’s a bit BS that they run the same chipset and they don’t let you put macOS on it.

It's not just a matter of letting you put macOS on it. It would certainly require a significant commitment on Apple's part to make macOS available as a robust alternative on the iPad, not just initial development & test but long-term support. Assuming their current engineers and supporting staff are not just sitting around on their hands looking for something to do, it could require a staffing increase. I'm not sure that the ROI is there to support that.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I’m sure somewhere inside Apple’s R&D lab that there’s an M1 iPad Pro running macOS. However I’m pretty convinced it’ll never leave that lab.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2018
I’m sure somewhere inside Apple’s R&D lab that there’s an M1 iPad Pro running macOS. However I’m pretty convinced it’ll never leave that lab.

They’ll be way beyond that stage now. There will be a variety of hybrid operating system projects on the go within Apple’s offices, that mix and match macOS and iPadOS. This is so technically easy to do bearing in mind it’s trivial to run iOS/iPadOS apps on Macs.

I would not be surprised if something on this theme is announced at WWDC in a month’s time. iPadOS is only at the start of its journey. It can borrow a lot more from macOS, just like macOS has borrowed a lot from iOS over the past few years.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have said many times that MacOS as an option (whether dual boot or virtualized) would be great for users, but not for Apple, so it won't happen.
I doubt hackers would be able to do it. Apple has put so many restrictions that it would probably be less hard to make the M1 iPad pro run IOS 6 than run MacOS....

And for the "buy a MacBook" crowd, do you even realize that most people here already have a MacBook? Many even have a M1 (pro) Macbook? The point is being able to have (and carry) one device that can be used with either OS depending on what you need to do with it, especially on the go.

Again, it's not in Apple's interest, so the best one can hope for is them making MacOS more productive with some sort of desktop mode when connected to a monitor, improved multitasking and file management, but that's as far as it can go.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2018
I have said many times that MacOS as an option (whether dual boot or virtualized) would be great for users, but not for Apple, so it won't happen.

Why isn't it in Apple's interest? We would still be buying Apple hardware to access it.

The profit margins on iPads are higher than MacBooks because it's a less crowded marketplace and Apple can literally name its own prices. The profit margin on the iPad Pro range is likely to be comically large.

For the price of an iPad Pro you can get a great laptop. Yet the bill of materials for the iPad Pro is much less than that of a laptop. No keyboard, no trackpad, smaller screen, smaller battery, less storage. Apple's laughing all the way to the bank!

Geminiwave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2021
Because they want you to buy an ipad AND a Mac. And frankly they want to keep you in a walled garden buying services. MacOS just doesn’t sell those services the same as an ipad. I am not naive. I don’t believe apple will give the option. They want to move more people into a locked down system, not the other way around. But I do think if iPads are rooted and jailbroken, it should be feasible to run macOS. Those locked down elements of iPadOS don’t matter so much anymore.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I expect getting around security is a major hindrance.

Like @woolypants mentioned, virtualization via jailbreak is likely more feasible than dual boot.

Of course, Apple can easily allow dual boot if they wanted to since they're the ones signing the firmware. Granted, ensuring things work properly is a different matter.
I've read that on the M1 iPad Pros, Apple disables the ability to run VMs on boot. Previous generations of the iPad didn't have the hardware/instructions to begin with. If it is true that VMs are disabled at boot, running a VM without Apple's cooperation wouldn't be any easier than getting around the boot loader security.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Why isn't it in Apple's interest? We would still be buying Apple hardware to access it.

The profit margins on iPads are higher than MacBooks because it's a less crowded marketplace and Apple can literally name its own prices. The profit margin on the iPad Pro range is likely to be comically large.

For the price of an iPad Pro you can get a great laptop. Yet the bill of materials for the iPad Pro is much less than that of a laptop. No keyboard, no trackpad, smaller screen, smaller battery, less storage. Apple's laughing all the way to the bank!
As others have said, buying a Macbook AND iPad will always cost more than buying an iPad that is slightly more expensive than a Macbook...
As for jailbreaking to hackintosh MacOS in an iPad would probably be much harder than people think, if not literally impossible without Apple allowing it... It would probably be less difficult to install Windows on Arm in bootcamp in a Mac than putting MacOS on the M1 iPad, if Apple does not want it...

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
As others have said, buying a Macbook AND iPad will always cost more than buying an iPad that is slightly more expensive than a Macbook...
As for jailbreaking to hackintosh MacOS in an iPad would probably be much harder than people think, if not literally impossible without Apple allowing it... It would probably be less difficult to install Windows on Arm in bootcamp in a Mac than putting MacOS on the M1 iPad, if Apple does not want it...

I'm retired now but in 40+ years as a s/w & h/w engineer/system architect, I don't know how many times I heard "It should be easy ...".

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
As an iPad/iPhone user I prefer to have Apple’s products clearly defined as they have unique use cases. Because of this, I do not ever want to see MacOS officially released on the iPad. If someone can hack an iPad and install it, fine. But I do not want the waters muddied with different operating systems and a multitude of different updates along with all the new and exotic bugs and technical problems we would invariably see. Let’s keep the machine clean and defined with iOS rather than over complicating things. If you want portable MacOS, get a MacBook…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.