Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Regarding Amazon, returns and their A to Z Satisfaction guarantee.
Applies to Prime purchase only?

Admittedly, I’ve gotten complacent about Amazon and returns. To be successful, online retailers must have generous return policies, especially for items that can’t be tried out like clothing and chairs. Be cautious about purchasing large items from third party venders, unless you are familiar with the item. I won’t be purchasing any more chairs online.

Recently I returned an office “gaming” chair bought via a third party at Amazon (not Amazon Prime). It had good reviews for quality and I like that it had a fabric covering. The chair appeared to be well made, but because of the bucket seat design, the flat portion of the seat was only 14” wide before the rigid wings, not formed wings made of foam, but hard rigid wings made of metal tubing, covered in fabric. The problem is that I could not comfortably sit in this chair. There were no seat dimensions listed on the sales page, and my other office chairs are 18” and 20” wide. I assumed this was a standard size chair.

Applying for the return, the seller told me that I could return the chair at my expense with a 15% restocking fee, which would have been more than purchase price of the chair ($110)!

I filed an A to Z claim with Amazon, asking that the seller send me a shipping label and offer a full refund. I was advised by an Amazon email, that although the chair did not qualify for A to Z coverage, that they had intervened and the seller had now agreed to my request. Although I’m satisfied with the outcome, and praise Amazon for their help, I’ve since asked and am still waiting for an explanation of why this chair is not technically covered by their A to Z guarantee. See below.

Since then, I ended up spending $300 for an office chair at Office Depot. Prices were comparable for a comprable chair online, and I did not want to deal with another return. Of note my last office chair which has held up for 20 years was $180.

Amazon A to Z Guarentee:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200783670
We want you to buy with confidence anytime you make a purchase on the Amazon.com website or use Amazon Pay; that's why we guarantee purchases from third-party sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.com website or when you use Amazon Pay for qualified purchases on third-party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
From that link, I'd imagine it's because your return reason falls under:

"Any other reason (restocking fees may be deducted from the total refund)" - which doesn't include return shipping fees.

But Amazon has such good customer service, I'm not surprised they made an exception for you.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The problem is that I could not comfortably sit in this chair.

Item is not defective so it is not covered. You have to return it on your own dime plus a restocking fee...

Glad they still helped you out, though - you got lucky this time...

Stuff like that you GOTTA get locally at a store. Many times, stores may price match or give you some sort of coupone/sale price that can come pretty close to online. At least you know what you are getting and you have a place to return it to (hence the "extra" monies spent buying it at a store).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Item is not defective so it is not covered. You have to return it on your own dime plus a restocking fee...

Glad they still helped you out, though - you got lucky this time...

Stuff like that you GOTTA get locally at a store. Many times, stores may price match or give you some sort of coupone/sale price that can come pretty close to online. At least you know what you are getting and you have a place to return it to (hence the "extra" monies spent buying it at a store).
I disagree. The dimensions that were advertised, did not accurately reflect the size of the chair. This was my approach in that it was not accurately described, the dimensions included on the product page were not accurate. There were no dimensions that accurately described the flat seating area, just the outside dimensions of the chair.

Reactions: compwiz1202

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
...don’t buy a chair online. ;)

I did! Scored a killer deal for my current chair (that my ass is currently sitting in ...) a few years ago. Also picked up a _sweet_ purple chair for the small person :D Both from Amazon.

I do understand though, chairs can be a little too tricky to get a good sense of, without actually trying them first (then of course, if it doesn't work out, it's your scenario). I tend to make sure I order from sources [on Amazon] where the return policy is no sweat.

So that purple chair :D

51jZDHi1A2L._SL1000_.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I did! Scored a killer deal for my current chair (that my ass is currently sitting in ...) a few years ago. Also picked up a _sweet_ purple chair for the small person :D Both from Amazon.

I do understand though, chairs can be a little too tricky to get a good sense of, without actually trying them first (then of course, if it doesn't work out, it's your scenario). I tend to make sure I order from sources [on Amazon] where the return policy is no sweat.

So that purple chair :D

51jZDHi1A2L._SL1000_.jpg
I'll modify my statement, don't buy a chair online, that you are not familiar with. :p Besides the purple, I like the looks of that chair. How wide is that seat? Who makes that and how much if you don't mind revealing? I think part of the problem was that I was browsing through "gaming" chairs.
This is the chair I returned:
71lIDjGpKrL._SL1500_.jpg

Flat part of seat 14.5" wide​

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'll modify my statement, don't buy a chair online, that you are not familiar with. :p Besides the purple, I like the looks of that chair. How wide is that seat? Who makes that and how much if you don't mind revealing? I think part of the problem was that I was browsing through "gaming" chairs.

It's some fairly inexpensive chair, it was for my little G - this is it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E97HOMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_adS1zbX5SXVWP - she picked it out and was more motivated by the color than any ergonomics :D

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You can search for "ergonomic chair", like I did.

I paid 225 euro. A top ergonomic chair will cost around 1K.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I bought this budget chair from Amazon some years ago, and it is very good, but I got the faux leather version and this cracked (as expected):

71R6rvlfLIL._SL1472_.jpg
My previous chair which is now a spare is fabric covered and still looks like new, although it's 20 years old. Hard to believe. I try hard to avoid faux leather, but then it seems hard to find real leather and there are probably different qualities of faux leather. This is the chair I ended up with:

715995_detail.jpg

Serta i5000 Midback Work Chair
wih very nice automatic lumbar support
[doublepost=1507246940][/doublepost]
It's some fairly inexpensive chair, it was for my little G - this is it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E97HOMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_adS1zbX5SXVWP - she picked it out and was more motivated by the color than any ergonomics :D
I finally noticed it is vinyl. o_O

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Regarding Amazon, returns and their A to Z Satisfaction guarantee.
Applies to Prime purchase only?

Admittedly, I’ve gotten complacent about Amazon and returns. To be successful, online retailers must have generous return policies, especially for items that can’t be tried out like clothing and chairs. Be cautious about purchasing large items from third party venders, unless you are familiar with the item. I won’t be purchasing any more chairs online.

Recently I returned an office “gaming” chair bought via a third party at Amazon (not Amazon Prime). It had good reviews for quality and I like that it had a fabric covering. The chair appeared to be well made, but because of the bucket seat design, the flat portion of the seat was only 14” wide before the rigid wings, not formed wings made of foam, but hard rigid wings made of metal tubing, covered in fabric. The problem is that I could not comfortably sit in this chair. There were no seat dimensions listed on the sales page, and my other office chairs are 18” and 20” wide. I assumed this was a standard size chair.

Applying for the return, the seller told me that I could return the chair at my expense with a 15% restocking fee, which would have been more than purchase price of the chair ($110)!

I filed an A to Z claim with Amazon, asking that the seller send me a shipping label and offer a full refund. I was advised by an Amazon email, that although the chair did not qualify for A to Z coverage, that they had intervened and the seller had now agreed to my request. Although I’m satisfied with the outcome, and praise Amazon for their help, I’ve since asked and am still waiting for an explanation of why this chair is not technically covered by their A to Z guarantee. See below.

Since then, I ended up spending $300 for an office chair at Office Depot. Prices were comparable for a comprable chair online, and I did not want to deal with another return. Of note my last office chair which has held up for 20 years was $180.

Amazon A to Z Guarentee:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200783670
We want you to buy with confidence anytime you make a purchase on the Amazon.com website or use Amazon Pay; that's why we guarantee purchases from third-party sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.com website or when you use Amazon Pay for qualified purchases on third-party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

In a case like this, when returning it is good to mark it as the description is incorrect. Amazon looks down a bit on that stuff. I usually always go via Amazon and seldom via the 3rd party seller.
Never had that happen. Then again I usually only do Prime.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In a case like this, when returning it is good to mark it as the description is incorrect. Amazon looks down a bit on that stuff. I usually always go via Amazon and seldom via the 3rd party seller.
Never had that happen. Then again I usually only do Prime.
I think I did mark it as "incorrect description". At first the vendor said the chair dimensions were stated regarding seat width, but they were not, only the outside dimensions of the chair. In the future, I too will lean more towards Prime.

Reactions: dk001

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
It doesn't answer your question, but this is one reason, I am very hesitant on buying from third party sellers on Amazon. It can't always be helped, but I have been burned once on the exact same thing. There were no dimensions on the items, asked the question and got an answer and took what the seller said. Received the product and they were off. Thank god all the q&a was kept and amazon stepped in and I was able to return the item without issue for a full refund.

But if it doesn't say full filled by amazon I will usually skip them, even if the price is higher. Not always, depending on the item, but most of the time I do.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The seller has a choice of private or commingled storage with Fulfilled by Amazon and you cannot tell. In the latter case, you might get a bad item from an unscrupulous seller even if the one you chose has a good rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and dk001

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I've bought a few specialty tools from third party sellers who went out of their way to ensure everything was alright. 99.9% of our purchases are from Amazon directly. There's some stuff I'll get directly from the manufacturer. Like Utz. I like their snacks. Always have. Always will. I get it directly from them on a rotating item basis. They're about the only snack food I ever consume. I like their products because they're not filled with junk, they have a natural and an organic line, they strive to use authentic ingredients and all that jazz.

They and probably Kettle brand are the only brands I'll deal with. Costco used to have, about a decade or so back, a big 5 or 8 lb barrel of Utz sourdough pretzels. Great stuff. Went through jars of mustard all the time.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I did not use amazon to pick a good chair, I searched the internet and settled for the budget brand of a top German manufacturer after consulting their websites.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I did not use amazon to pick a good chair, I searched the internet and settled for the budget brand of a top German manufacturer after consulting their websites.

I bought a overstuffed recliner from a third party via Amazon. Made by Ashley. Love the chair.
A side note, there are many name brands that now sell via Amazon and will price match. Ashely Furniture is one. :)

Prime member since inception and have to say it has been a very good experience.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It doesn't answer your question, but this is one reason, I am very hesitant on buying from third party sellers on Amazon. It can't always be helped, but I have been burned once on the exact same thing. There were no dimensions on the items, asked the question and got an answer and took what the seller said. Received the product and they were off. Thank god all the q&a was kept and amazon stepped in and I was able to return the item without issue for a full refund.

But if it doesn't say full filled by amazon I will usually skip them, even if the price is higher. Not always, depending on the item, but most of the time I do.

I would describe myself as an average sized person, in the online environment there is no chance to try it on, If it had not been for Amazon’s intervention, this vendor attitude was tough luck and I’d still have the chair because it would have cost more than the purchase price to return.

Of note, there was another review that said, good chair but uncomfortable to sit in. :oops: If the chair had fit me, I would have given it a 4 rating. The discomfort came from wings pressing against the sides of my legs. If anything it would make me hesitant to purchase another gaming chair online, with a bucket style seat, without being able to sit in it first.

The seller has a choice of private or commingled storage with Fulfilled by Amazon and you cannot tell. In the latter case, you might get a bad item from an unscrupulous seller even if the one you chose has a good rating.

My chair had a 4/5 rating so it’s buyer beware. At times it seems like it takes a divining rod to interpret reviews. Usually I pay attention to comments like it broke or stopped working soon after purchase. Although the seller has since added more dimensions, none of them reflect actual flat seat size, nor do they tell you the wings are made of unflexible metal tubing.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
My chair had a 4/5 rating so it’s buyer beware. At times it seems like it takes a divining rod to interpret reviews. Usually I pay attention to comments like it broke or stopped working soon after purchase. Although the seller has since added more dimensions, none of them reflect actual flat seat size, nor do they tell you the wings are made of unflexible metal tubing.
I was talking about the seller rating, not the item rating.

Regarding the item rating, I guess some people don't realize that the comments on the right side of the description page are unrelated to it.

And that when a page allows to select different versions, all the Q&A and comments are lumped together. In this case, I guess the star rating could also be a mashup.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was talking about the seller rating, not the item rating.

Regarding the item rating, I guess some people don't realize that the comments on the right side of the page are unrelated to it.

And that when a page allows to select different versions, all the Q&A and comments are lumped together. In this case, I guess the star rating could also be a mashup.
Ok, understand. I’ll admit, I have not paid much attention to Seller ratings. Need to pay attention to that.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
One other note: When I shop for different items, I now both physically shop and then check the item on Amazon. Besides price matching for some vendors, often I will find it on Amazon cheaper and sometimes their extra warranty is better and cheaper than what other sellers offer. I just treat Amazon as another store.

fyi: for the star ratings in Amazon, they are frequently useful. Just make sure you kinda sorta ignore the reviews that do not contain "purchase verified". That way you know the reviewer at least purchased the item.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0388631 and Huntn

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Also, read the reviews. Sometimes people will one star an item they did buy but give the most pathetic review that doesn't explain their review.

A while back I was looking at some stainless steel kitchen tools. One of the reviews said "Did not like this. It was stainless steel. I wanted silicone!" The item stated it was made of 18/10 stainless steel in the title, description and manufacturer notes. They don't make silicone tools.

Makes me want to pray for humanity. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.