Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There are a series of decent shows.

• Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan- (S1) Fighting a terrorist. Thumbs up.
  • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel- (S1) House wife becomes standup comic. Big thumbs up.
  • The Man in the High Castle (S3)- The Axis won WWII but films appear that show the Allies winning it instead. Thumbs up.
Considering:
  • The Romanoffs- (S1)- Modern stories centered on the of decendents of the Ronanoff Family.
  • Hand of God (S2)- Bad (?) man being tried for murder.

Reactions: ActionableMango

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
  • Bosch. One of my favorite shows. Love this series!
  • Jack Ryan was good also, can't wait for season two!
  • Hand of God started out good, but then quickly went down hill in my opinion.
  • I haven't watched "The Romanoffs", however it is on my list of shows to watch.
  • The Man In The High Castle both me and the wife like!

Reactions: Huntn and jazz1

PPCmike

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2012
I watched a little of The Man in the High Castle however I feel mixed on it..

Jack Ryan was amazing I think I watched 4 or 5 eps in one sitting with my wife we both loved it.

Reactions: Huntn

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
My wife and I have watched Jack Ryan and The Man In The High Castle and really have liked them both. The other shows listed by @Huntn don't really seem that interesting to us, so we won't be watching them.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Just started "Abstintia" and so far we are three episodes in. It is holding our attention. There are couple small quips about the main character, but so far there are quite a few twist and turns already.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Romanoffs- I watched the first two episodes, an anthology series, about the descendents of this family living their every day lives, each episode different stories and different actors. I was hoping for some intrigue based on the Romanoff name, but so far I would describe these episodes as slow moving, personal relationship stories, where the title is mostly a hook to get you to watch.

28B88179-1980-4972-BCB1-4749C6E96A15.jpeg

The first episode in Paris has a direct connection with an elderly lady, (a niece, daughter of the Romanoffs), and her relationship with her Muslim house keeper and her nephew ( Aaron Eckhart). Slow moving, but interesting as far as that goes with an interesting ending.

The second episode, a guy (Corey Stoll) unhappy in his marriage. The wife ends up going on a Romanoffs themed cruise and the husband tells a woman he meets at jury duty my entire family was murdered, other than that this story could be about anyone and infidelity. Again it’s all about personal relationships, with no real excitement or intrigue related to the title.

I am up in the air about continuing to watch. The series is competently filmed, but get’s a 51% rating at Rotten Tomatoes, I assume because these are (so far) slow moving stories and because they are anthology, there is no chance to build on a single thread, like expanding on one of these stories. It’s like if you watched Downton Abbey, (which I liked) but each episode was about a different family. So there is the lack of continuity, that can be built upon, deepened, and what gets audiences vested in this kind of story telling.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I just finished the second season of Making a Murderer. I'm not entirely upset that I wasted ten hours of my life watching it, but I will say the first season was much better; if you're expecting more of the same in the second season, you're going to be very disappointed.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I just finished the second season of Making a Murderer. I'm not entirely upset that I wasted ten hours of my life watching it, but I will say the first season was much better; if you're expecting more of the same in the second season, you're going to be very disappointed.
That's Netflix.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is amazing. I also really enjoyed Jack Ryan

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I tried watching The Man in the High Castle, but after two episodes it just wasn't grabbing me.

Now Homecoming, on the other hand...that is a weird show. For the uninitiated, it's about a center to help returning veterans integrate back into society. But there's something sinister going on behind the scenes. The vibe of the show is what's weird. It's got touches of Twin Peaks and The Prisoner to it.

What I like:
  • It's a very slow-building conspiracy story. But because it's a half hour show (yes, a half hour drama), it never seems to drag. If anything, the "WTF is going on around here" feeling tends to keep you interested.
  • It uses odd, off the wall camera angles.
  • The video editing has a unique look. The story takes place in the recent past (mid-2018) and a few years later. The past is filmed in 16:9. The “later” is filmed in square format. Not 4:3. Square. There’s an interesting plot point late in the series where the two techniques merge.
  • Whether they're doing this for effect or just to save money, I've recognized parts of the score that are borrowed from other films, specifically "The Andromeda Strain", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", “All the President’s Men” and "The Amityville Horror".
The ending was satisfying while leaving just enough open for a possible sequel.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I tried watching The Man in the High Castle, but after two episodes it just wasn't grabbing me.

Now Homecoming, on the other hand...that is a weird show. For the uninitiated, it's about a center to help returning veterans integrate back into society. But there's something sinister going on behind the scenes. The vibe of the show is what's weird. It's got touches of Twin Peaks and The Prisoner to it.

What I like:
  • It's a very slow-building conspiracy story. But because it's a half hour show (yes, a half hour drama), it never seems to drag. If anything, the "WTF is going on around here" feeling tends to keep you interested.
  • It uses odd, off the wall camera angles.
  • The video editing has a unique look. The story takes place in the recent past (mid-2018) and a few years later. The past is filmed in 16:9. The “later” is filmed in square format. Not 4:3. Square. There’s an interesting plot point late in the series where the two techniques merge.
  • Whether they're doing this for effect or just to save money, I've recognized parts of the score that are borrowed from other films, specifically "The Andromeda Strain", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", “All the President’s Men” and "The Amityville Horror".
The ending was satisfying while leaving just enough open for a possible sequel.
Homecoming is on my list to watch, maybe next, maybe Goliath, but we’ll try both.

We just finished The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 2, a really nice slice of nostalgia, character driven story. Highly recommended! When you can almost believe you are watching someone’s life, it’s good. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas Veil

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Homecoming is on my list to watch, maybe next, maybe Goliath, but we’ll try both.

We just finished The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 2, a really nice slice of nostalgia, character driven story. Highly recommended! When you can almost believe you are watching someone’s life, it’s good. :D

It’s a courtroom drama, thriller so I picked Goliath first. Three episodes in, and it’s not gripping me as much as I hoped for, and plot in some ways seems a bit too convienent, but I’m still watching.

They did not take the time to layout why the dead man’s son, who's only beef with his Mom (that we know about) is that he does not believe his father committed suicide and his Mom is telling him, he did, along with a suicide note, why the boy would choose a temporary custodian in a legal battle instead of his Mother.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Goliath, Episode 4 ehh, it’s not holding me. This show has elements that should be a triller, but... and I’m really hating William Hurt as the head of the law firm. :(

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Homecoming (2018)- Two episodes into Season 1 (30 min episodes) and it’s holding my attention. What happened at a veteran adjust-to-civilian life facility 4 yrears ago? The Administrator (Julia Roberts) seems to have forgotten...

11FAB62D-6B99-4759-A7E8-27C37D051DD3.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Homecoming (2018)- Two episodes into Season 1 (30 min episodes) and it’s holding my attention. What happened at a veteran adjust-to-civilian life facility 4 yrears ago? The Administrator (Julia Roberts) seems to have forgotten...

Homecoming, omg, in episode 7 they used The Thing (Ennio Morricone) music as if no one would notice! :)
I finished Season 1. Competently made, but slow moving, tried to eek out some tension, for 5 hrs invested, was not worth the payoff. :(

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
If your looking for something to watch on Amazon try Patriot it's really dark and funny.
The best way to describe it is to imagine a spy show directed by Wes Anderson.

GeraldBostock

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2018
Solar Federation
There are a series of decent shows.

• Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan- (S1) Fighting a terrorist. Thumbs up.
  • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel- (S1) House wife becomes standup comic. Big thumbs up.
  • The Man in the High Castle (S3)- The Axis won WWII but films appear that show the Allies winning it instead. Thumbs up.
Considering:
  • The Romanoffs- (S1)- Modern stories centered on the of decendents of the Ronanoff Family.
  • Hand of God (S2)- Bad (?) man being tried for murder.
I will have to give Jack Ryan a try

I watched the first two seasons of The Man in the High Castle and then completely lost interest in the first episode of the third season :/

Has anyone watched American Gods? I'm curious about that one

MileHighPilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
Romanoffs- I watched the first two episodes, an anthology series, about the descendents of this family living their every day lives, each episode different stories and different actors. I was hoping for some intrigue based on the Romanoff name, but so far I would describe these episodes as slow moving, personal relationship stories, where the title is mostly a hook to get you to watch.

The first episode in Paris has a direct connection with an elderly lady, (a niece, daughter of the Romanoffs), and her relationship with her Muslim house keeper and her nephew ( Aaron Eckhart). Slow moving, but interesting as far as that goes with an interesting ending.

The second episode, a guy (Corey Stoll) unhappy in his marriage. The wife ends up going on a Romanoffs themed cruise and the husband tells a woman he meets at jury duty my entire family was murdered, other than that this story could be about anyone and infidelity. Again it’s all about personal relationships, with no real excitement or intrigue related to the title.

I am up in the air about continuing to watch. The series is competently filmed, but get’s a 51% rating at Rotten Tomatoes, I assume because these are (so far) slow moving stories and because they are anthology, there is no chance to build on a single thread, like expanding on one of these stories. It’s like if you watched Downton Abbey, (which I liked) but each episode was about a different family. So there is the lack of continuity, that can be built upon, deepened, and what gets audiences vested in this kind of story telling.
the romanoffs wasnt what i was expecting at all
both are good
I watched the first two seasons of The Man in the High Castle and then completely lost interest in the first episode of the third season :/
i watched the third season but it wasnt as good as the first 2
there was too much of a science fiction element which didnt go with the previous seasons

Reactions: GeraldBostock

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
the romanoffs wasnt what i was expecting at all

both are good

i watched the third season but it wasnt as good as the first 2
there was too much of a science fiction element which didnt go with the previous seasons
They are expanding on the idea of parralel universes much more than the book ever did, where there becomes wide knowledge of this, and of course the Germans want to spread the Reich.

MileHighPilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
They are expanding on the idea of parralel universes much more than the book ever did, where there becomes wide knowledge of this, and of course the Germans want to spread the Reich.
thanks
ill re-watch it soon to see if i missed anything

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I watched an episode of Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams (anthology series) called Real Life, where a person jumps back and forth between alternative lives. It was good, I’ll keep watching.

279BA46C-AC59-41DB-B1E7-0637C3F2A92B.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.