Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glawrie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Maidenhead, UK
Have a 2010 5,1 cMP currently with a flashed AMD R9 280X card that has worked perfectly for several years but is now becoming temperamental... and probably will need to be replaced.

Was looking at the AMD RX580 / RX590 cards - they are it seems a little bit faster than the R9 280X (approx 10-20%) and have a bigger power requirement but will work, though an expensive way to end up roughly where I am now. While looking for these I noticed that the AMD 5500 XT is roughly the same performance as the RX580 but has a much lower power draw, and the AMD 5600 is about 50% faster than the RX580 but uses a bit less power - either should run of the same power inputs as my R9 280X... so these sound like better options to replace the R9 280X...

So question is will either of these cards work OK? If so, any particular examples worth considering over others?

My machine is running Catalina via OC 6.4 (until recently with HW accel on, but latest security update for Catalina from Apple appears to have killed that as an option, not sure why).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / suggestions available.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I don't know where your numbers coming from.

The RX580 should be about 40% faster than the 280X, not 10-20%. And this assume 3GB VRAM is enough. If the usage require more than 3GB VRAM, the RX580 will be way faster than 280X.

The RX5600 should be just about 20% faster than RX580, not 50%. But if you actually mean 5600XT (as per the thread title), then it's about 40% faster than the RX580 (much closer to 50% indeed).

For power draw, RX580 draw about 170W when under stress

It should draw less than the 280X.

Anyway, if you are already running Catalina, it make sense to go for the RX5600. It has newer video engine for HWAccel as well.

For your HWAccel issue, most likely because you disabled SMBIOS spoofing for the Catalina update. You should turn off VMM, and turn on SMBIOS spoofing after Catalina update.

If you don't want to keep modding the config, you may consider further upgrade to Big Sur.

glawrie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Maidenhead, UK
I don't know where your numbers coming from.
They come from the TechPowerUp GPU database... here - but you are right the RX580 is a bit faster than I suggest - seems I was comparing it to R9 290X not R9 280X. TDP power consumption is not greatly changed tho, and for newer cards (e.g. 5500 and better) is lower than RX580 in absolute terms, and significantly lower in performance/watt.
If you are already running Catalina, it make sense to go for the RX5600. It has newer video engine for HWAccel as well.
Thanks - useful info.
For your HWAccel issue, most likely because you disabled SMBIOS spoofing for the Catalina update. You should turn off VMM, and turn on SMBIOS spoofing after Catalina update.
Ahah. OK _ will try that.
If you don't want to keep modding the config, you may consider further upgrade to Big Sur.
Useful to know - I didn't know that it was yet supported via OpenCore - might give it a try.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.