Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
I have a mid 2012 Mac Pro that I'm trying to put back into service. I've installed a "patched" version of Catalina 10.15.7. Right now it has an nVidia GTX680 video card, meaning I get no acceleration. I also have this machine dual booting to Linux Mint 22 using reFind. I'm having issues with the nVidia driver under Linux. This machine is connected to a 4K display via HDMI.

I want to replace the nVidia GTX680 with an AMD card so I can avoid using the default framebuffer under Mac OS and avoid the nVidia driver issue in Linux.

What would be the best card to use in this case, keeping in mind...
- I need to see the boot screen when powering up the Mac
- It needs to be compatible with Catalina (and optionally Majove)
- I need to use the HDMI connection
- I want to use the display at 4K

I don't mind flashing the video card BIOS as long as I have decent instructions.

Calab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
RX580 plus EnableGop
Thank you... I actually have a line on an RX560 card. I don't plan on doing any gaming so it should do the job.

I do have one question that you, or someone else, might be able to answer... Regarding the firmwares on TechPowerUp (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/), do you know if these have already been modded for Mac use, or are they simply pre-mod firmwares? They appear to be pre-mod firmwares, but I'm not sure.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Thank you... I actually have a line on an RX560 card. I don't plan on doing any gaming so it should do the job.

I do have one question that you, or someone else, might be able to answer... Regarding the firmwares on TechPowerUp (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/), do you know if these have already been modded for Mac use, or are they simply pre-mod firmwares? They appear to be pre-mod firmwares, but I'm not sure.

Sometimes there are modded firmwares, very rarely for Macs, but this should be written in the comments.

As a role of thumb: If OpenCore (LegacyPatcher) delivers a bootscreen (without the optional setting for pre-load gop in OCLP), then EnableGop in the Mac firmware should do.

A bios mod in a GPU (other power tables, clocks, mining setups) breaks GOP validation. And OpenCore (and EnableGop) delivers no boot screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.