Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
I have an interesting question for you all. I have an interest in how video card support actually works after Mac OS is booted. OS9 likely won’t work this way, but I can’t help wondering:
If you have a Mac version 9200 pci which seem plentiful and cheap, can you use a better video card in the AGP slot and have it initialize after OS boot, using the 9200 Mac edition to bootstrap the power Mac and then have OS X load it’s driver for the whatever it is, like a 9700 pro or GeForce 6000. Does that work? Has anyone even tried? It is becoming harder to flash cards for average people as while you can get PCI on anything even a modern pc to work via readily available bridge boards, AGP is another matter since all the pc hardware from that era is getting more expenive presumably with vintage PC users sucking up most any hardware that’s any good. A GeForce 6000 board on pci may be a workable solution but I’d love to know and benchmark them. Sadly I don’t have an expandable power Mac and am stuck with a mini g4 for now due to budget and space.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
This is certainly possible on Intel using a technique called "enabling". I did it with a Radeon HD 2600. Starting with the Radeon HD 5000 series, OS X initialises the GPU itself. No idea if it's possible or has even been looked into on PPC.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.