Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Toronto
i'm a photographer that is having a difficult time making the transition from analog to digital. weekend workshops don't seem to help (too condensed) and colleges and independent programs or schools don't seem to offer something that fits--they focus too much on photography or digital publishing. i already have an MFA and know the traditional photography. i'd like to learn shooting digital and then understanding how to provide myself with a workflow via photoshop and/or lightroom. then's there's the issue of lightroom versus aperature. any suggestions. thanks.
-
and i've been waiting for the new macbooks and their terrible for photowork because of their glossy screen. i know, we can order a matte screen for the 17inch books... they must address this glossy screen issue!

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Considering that you claim to know little or nothing about digital workflow, I find it interesting that you claim to know something about photographer's woes wrt the glossy MBP screens.

Two Links:

They'll replace a 15" glossy with matte screen for you: http://techrestore.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18467&cat=0&page=1

Preexisting thread (it's stickied, actually) on Lightroom vs. Aperture:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/596884/

I doubt you'll find a class that teaches this topic the way you want it taught. There isn't enough material to string it out over a semester, and so they condense it into a weekend course. You may try looking at Santa Fe Workshops, they're usually week-long courses, although I don't remember seeing any that handle digital workflow exclusively. Not to mention the high expense of Santa Fe (>$1000).

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Personally, I think everyone has their own workflow. First, just learn how to transfer and edit files, and work from there. Once you find inefficiencies, find ways to make the process more efficient. I find that film based photography is really only a few steps more than digital. Digital eliminates scanning, etc. But in place of it, you'll have RAW files to edit (if you choose to shoot in RAW).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.