Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Usually, threads you find under Digital Photography are all about gear, glass, upgrades, critiques, and the endless Canon/Nikon/Other debates. I, like yourself, strive from day to day to enhance my craft. To hone the ability to draw with light wherever that light might be. You give it your heart, your soul, your eyes, and time. Forever with the time. Tweaking the light and exposure for minutes just to make those small snaps of time, when the shutter is open less than a second, pay off.

Occasionally, however, photography can land you in a spot where you have reached an apex. A point in time and space where the cosmos/nature are prepared to give you a rare Jackpot payout. To send a message, as if to say, "We're watching you, keep it up." For me, this happened yesterday.

After driving through No Where, South Eastern Kentucky for over an hour we arrived at the top of a small mountain. 2200 feet in elevation. Small by Rockies' standards, but approaching the top of the world in this area of the country. Last time we were here we got to see the elusive elk that meander around these parts. This time there were no elk, but the wild horses that roam the area were hanging out for a mid-morning snack. We snuck around leaving quite a distance so as not to spook them.

After a few minutes the "Alpha" male amongst them began to make his way towards us. His actions weren't hostile so we stayed put. He came up to my friend first, putting his nose into the hood of my friends 400mm Canon lens. The horse noticed me taking a few shots of him and my friend, and came over to me. Highlight of my day. Petting him for those few moments, I felt connected to something WAY bigger than me. Miles from civilization, in the wild, 2200 feet up, 360 degrees views, super cold, and windy. Just us and our new friend. Don't worry nature ... I got the message, loud and clear.

Photo by D. Boggs

Attachments

• 4393499053_d6c582f276_b.jpg
    4393499053_d6c582f276_b.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 159

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
This was a really nice read and that's a great photo. It must be nice to experience something that amazing, I hope one day to have a similar experience.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
What a wonderful experience to have, and such a great story to read. A beautiful animal, a scenic location, big lenses...what's not to love??! :D

Thanks for sharing. :)

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Thanks for the comments. Only thing I regret is how huge my down jacket makes me look, lol. But, dang if it's not warm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.