Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Andar Aspen or the Caudabe Sheath?

• Total voters

iScone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
From my perspective, the absolute best cases (aesthetics, protection, quality) come down to the Caudabe Sheath and the Andar Aspen.

Both look amazing, and are obviously made with great care for quality.

To my eyes, the Andar looks better, with sheer top grade leather in an iconic, classic brown. But the Caudabe boasts drop protection that the Andar doesn't, making me think the Caudabe is the safer case.

Which would you pick?

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
From my perspective, the absolute best cases (aesthetics, protection, quality) come down to the Caudabe Sheath and the Andar Aspen.

Both look amazing, and are obviously made with great care for quality.

To my eyes, the Andar looks better, with sheer top grade leather in an iconic, classic brown. But the Caudabe boasts drop protection that the Andar doesn't, making me think the Caudabe is the safer case.

Which would you pick?
I had both for the 14 Pro. The Andar undoubtedly feels nicer in the hand, and gets a patina the way only leather can. I dropped mine a few times and the leather damaged easily. Not so bad that it was unusable but you have to be okay with your case looking worn and torn over time. I never felt the phone was in danger though. Also if you use mag safe accessories a lot you’ll see the mag safe ring imprint on the back of the case prominently. The biggest issue with the case overall for me was that the case edges were raised more than was necessary, so swiping from any direction would make me catch the case first and while not a huge thing for any given swipe, over the course of days and weeks it added up to an annoyance I could not stand.

The Caudabe is pretty flawless for what it is. It’s not leather and while textured will never feel as good as leather, but it’s more resilient when dropped and doesn’t scuff nearly as easily. You’ll never get a MagSafe imprint on the back either. The edges are lower than on the Andar and make swiping easier. The only real downside is that some of the lighter colors can wear around the edges and it doesn’t look charming like leather patina, just faded.

I no longer use the Andar case because of the swiping issue, the Caudabe is my daily driver on my 14 Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: boswald and iScone

iScone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
The Caudabe is pretty flawless for what it is. It’s not leather and while textured will never feel as good as leather, but it’s more resilient when dropped and doesn’t scuff nearly as easily. You’ll never get a MagSafe imprint on the back either. The edges are lower than on the Andar and make swiping easier. The only real downside is that some of the lighter colors can wear around the edges and it doesn’t look charming like leather patina, just faded.

Great post, thanks. Were you ever concerned that the Caudabe provides little to no protection against front screen drops?

I'm now also considering the Mujjo in monaco blue, mainly for the colour (with blue titanium) but also because it ships with an action button cover, which the Caudabe does not (yet).

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Great post, thanks. Were you ever concerned that the Caudabe provides little to no protection against front screen drops?

I'm now also considering the Mujjo in monaco blue, mainly for the colour (with blue titanium) but also because it ships with an action button cover, which the Caudabe does not (yet).
The Sheath has a lip that goes all the way around the front, and I use mine without a screen protector without issue, but you could easily add a good screen protector if you are concerned.

Reactions: iScone

chugg

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
I find the Sheath unnecessarily heavy. If I remember correctly, it's nearly twice the weight of the Apple leather case.

Reactions: iScone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.