Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teriyaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
switzerland
Hello macrumors community,

This is my first post and I thought I'll share my thoughts about IOS and the new iPhone 12 as a former Android user. My last IOS device was the iPod Touch 4th gen so I didn't expierience IOS since IOS 5. I come from a Huawei P20 so the upgrade is about 2-3 years difference

Things I like:
  1. IOS feels a lot smoother than android and the animations are awesome.
  2. I love how apps are implemented a lot better, for example snapchat let's me use nightmode and it uses the actual camera so the quality is improved by a lot. Everything feels more "finished" and thought out like widgets just look better to my eye compared to widgets on Android.
  3. I absolutely love Face ID it makes managing passwords more convinient.
  4. Siri's male voice feels really natural by the way it responds compared to Google Assistant and I also feel like it works better for controlling my lights.
  5. Connecting and controlling my airpods pro is so much easier and comfortable
  6. Touch bar. I prefer gestures over any physical or virtual home button.
  7. Battery life seems fine so far I can get through a day with moderate usage (no 5G)

Things I dislike:

1. Display. The iPhone 12s colors don't seem to pop as much as my P20. I don't know why but my iPhone 12 has a really warmish/yellow tint and I absolutely hate that. I already turned true tone and night shift off but it doesn't change too much. I turned on a color filter to make it a bit colder and that helped but I read that by doing that saturation and white points aren't accurate anymore so I'm not really happy with that solution. As far as I'm aware I'm not the only one with this concern and it acutally really annoys me. Does anyone know if that is an actual issue or just apple's display calibration being warm this year?
  2. The camera trigger sound. I don't seem to be able to turn it off without turning on the mute switch.
  3. Battery percentage. Why is it so hard to implement it into the battery icon?
  4. I don't have an option in YouTube to watch content in HDR but I'm not sure if that's just YouTube not being updated already.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Welcome to the Apple Orchard.

To include the percentage with your battery icon in the top right cover on Home Screen, go to Settings > Battery > Battery Percentage (toggled on)

To prevent the camera shutter sound, go to Settings > Camera > Preserve Settings > Live Photo (toggled on)

teriyaki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
switzerland
Welcome to the Apple Orchard.

To include the percentage with your battery icon in the top right cover on Home Screen, go to Settings > Battery > Battery Percentage (toggled on)

To prevent the camera shutter sound, go to Settings > Camera > Preserve Settings > Live Photo (toggled on)

The 12 doesn't have that option for battery seems like all the notch iPhones don't have it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The 12 doesn't have that option for battery seems like all the notch iPhones don't have it.
You'd essentially see it either by going to the control center or by adding a battery widget that would show it on those type of phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.