Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
Hi all, M1 Mac user for a year and loving it. I am very techie user and am years in IT support.

However - recently switched from Android (Samsung) to Iphone (13 Pro), and first thing that strikes me is just how stupid is to have lightning port, when Mac and iPads obviously moved to USB-C.

But OK - lets keep up on this one.

Second - the moment I plugged the iPhone to my Mac - Mac asked me to update the iPhone to the latest iOS version!
And thats like, update from 15.1 to 15.1.1 - and like most critical thing it says me to do!
No delay - I cant do anything in terms of them connecting before the update is deployed.
Super annoying!!

In other words - I am disappointed how Mac and iPhone are still two very different systems.
Mac is definitely super mature product - while iPhone... no comments here.

Finally - after ranting about this - can anyone suggest if there is any way to skip this update requirements and connect them? for apps backup etc. Any way to disable this "update" popup on connecting them?

P.S. Its hilarious that Samsung (S10) connects to Mac via USB-C, does not ask anything, and my full phone storage is available to Mac (to copy, paste and rearange)... No questions...

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I don’t know how to skip certain update requirements that occasionally pop up.
With regards to iPhones syncing rather than showing up like external storage media, that is certainly an annoying difference to some, especially if you’re not yet familiar with this media library concept that has the computer at home be your digital sync hub for mobile devices. This approach has been followed by apple since the first iPods were introduced about two decades ago.
I’m sure once you’ve wrapped your head around the concepts of Mac and iOS sync you’ll have a better time with them. Enjoy the new device!

Reactions: Leon1das

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
There are plenty of lightning to USB-C cables - matter of fact iPhones come with them now

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
When brand new iPhones are plugged into the Mac the first time - you’ll get a nag screen imploring you to update the software to the latest version if the phone isn’t on it. They make it unavoidable because they know the older software is “crap” and the newer version is less so.

You don’t have to upgrade though. There are other options available when plugging into the Mac. Just got to look for them.
But new iPhones always ship with beta software which is borderline crap indeed, so it’s best to download the latest version in this case to get a slightly less crappy version.

I hope that explains it.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
. . . They make it unavoidable because they know the older software is “crap” and the newer version is less so.

. . . new iPhones always ship with beta software which is borderline crap . . .
Wow, incredible statements . . . let's just make it clear that new iPhones do NOT ship with beta software. I have never heard such a claim and would like to know where you get such an idea.

Reactions: Taz Mangus

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow, incredible statements . . . let's just make it clear that new iPhones do NOT ship with beta software. I have never heard such a claim and would like to know where you get such an idea.
I imagine it's a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that the first few releases of a new version of iOS are usually buggy.

Take iOS 9 for example. Apple had multiple problems with the launch of iOS 9 and they even went so far as to retract an update at one point while resigning an older update that they had stopped signing.

Since beta software tends to be buggy - there's the reference.

Reactions: now i see it

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I imagine it's a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that the first few releases of a new version of iOS are usually buggy.

Take iOS 9 for example. Apple had multiple problems with the launch of iOS 9 and they even went so far as to retract an update at one point while resigning an older update that they had stopped signing.

Since beta software tends to be buggy - there's the reference.

There is a difference between tongue in cheek and gross generalisations that help nobody. Software has bugs and perfectionism is just nowhere to be found in the industry.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
There are also driver updates required to connect new phone to Mac - you aren't talking about those are you?

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
I don’t know how to skip certain update requirements that occasionally pop up.
With regards to iPhones syncing rather than showing up like external storage media, that is certainly an annoying difference to some, especially if you’re not yet familiar with this media library concept that has the computer at home be your digital sync hub for mobile devices. This approach has been followed by apple since the first iPods were introduced about two decades ago.
I’m sure once you’ve wrapped your head around the concepts of Mac and iOS sync you’ll have a better time with them. Enjoy the new device!

When brand new iPhones are plugged into the Mac the first time - you’ll get a nag screen imploring you to update the software to the latest version if the phone isn’t on it. They make it unavoidable because they know the older software is “crap” and the newer version is less so.

You don’t have to upgrade though. There are other options available when plugging into the Mac. Just got to look for them.
But new iPhones always ship with beta software which is borderline crap indeed, so it’s best to download the latest version in this case to get a slightly less crappy version.

I hope that explains it.

Many thanks to both. I was busy checking the options - and found iMazing with works wirelessly, so this proved to be (for me) the best way to avoid this stupid update reminders...

However - I found 3 bugs on the iOS 15.1 in the first 2 days (wrote separately) and frankly was disappointed to find them as a newcomer from Android in just 2 days.
The way iPhone connects to my Mac (update nag), lightning port, bugs in 15.1, and weight of the 13 Pro - led me all to return device and get back to my Samsung S10.

Think I will wait for some more time before giving chance again to Apple's mobile OS.
MacBook is still THE best product Apple has ever built, and I dont see ever switching from Mac to anything else.

I am a power user and iOS is simply just not that.
Loved experimenting with AdGuard Pro - and with proper DNS filtering - I was able to remove every single ad on iPhone in 1h, in every application on the phone.
Also liked "Shortcuts" app with automations - definitely move in the right directions for the power users - but its still suffering from bugs.

Android device is simply way more advanced, and communicates with Mac more complete than iPhone.
It can also be more extensively administered without any security impacts.
My S10 has adb-ed all unecessary apps on system partitition and has (3y old device) faster UI than iPhone 13 Pro.

So turning off the lights for now and see you all in the future!!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Many thanks to both. I was busy checking the options - and found iMazing with works wirelessly, so this proved to be (for me) the best way to avoid this stupid update reminders...

However - I found 3 bugs on the iOS 15.1 in the first 2 days (wrote separately) and frankly was disappointed to find them as a newcomer from Android in just 2 days.
The way iPhone connects to my Mac (update nag), lightning port, bugs in 15.1, and weight of the 13 Pro - led me all to return device and get back to my Samsung S10.

Think I will wait for some more time before giving chance again to Apple's mobile OS.
MacBook is still THE best product Apple has ever built, and I dont see ever switching from Mac to anything else.

I am a power user and iOS is simply just not that.
Loved experimenting with AdGuard Pro - and with proper DNS filtering - I was able to remove every single ad on iPhone in 1h, in every application on the phone.
Also liked "Shortcuts" app with automations - definitely move in the right directions for the power users - but its still suffering from bugs.

Android device is simply way more advanced, and communicates with Mac more complete than iPhone.
It can also be more extensively administered without any security impacts.
My S10 has adb-ed all unecessary apps on system partitition and has (3y old device) faster UI than iPhone 13 Pro.

So turning off the lights for now and see you all in the future!!
One word…

Jailbreak

It's similar to rooting, but not the same thing. Assuming there's a current jailbreak for your device you'd have a lot more control.

But you've gone back so moot point.

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2020
One word…

Jailbreak

It's similar to rooting, but not the same thing. Assuming there's a current jailbreak for your device you'd have a lot more control.

But you've gone back so moot point.
Thanks but jailbreak and rooting are no longer an options for me.

I have savings and bank accounts - and am interested only in customizations of user partitions, where system partition and sandboxing integrities are left untouched for the above reasons.

This is again shared trait of M1 Macs and Android - tweaks are possible while system partition is untouched.

To get to the same level of customizations iOS needs jailbreak - and thats not an option from safety perspective (I did it in the past but not anymore).

Finally rooting is in general more safe procedure (unlocked bootloader and open source recovery) versus jailbreak - which is always a hack.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks but jailbreak and rooting are no longer an options for me.

I have savings and bank accounts - and am interested only in customizations of user partitions, where system partition and sandboxing integrities are left untouched for the above reasons.

This is again shared trait of M1 Macs and Android - tweaks are possible while system partition is untouched.

To get to the same level of customizations iOS needs jailbreak - and thats not an option from safety perspective (I did it in the past but not anymore).

Finally rooting is in general more safe procedure (unlocked bootloader and open source recovery) versus jailbreak - which is always a hack.
That's your prerogative of course, but beyond the fact that jailbreaks leverage exploits for the actual jailbreak, your device is not then just left unsecure and wide open from the moment you jailbreak. Others will argue it does and Apple most definitely encourages that idea.

I had an iPhone 6s+ on iOS 9.0.1 with a jailbreak (one of the last fully untethered jailbreaks) from October 2015 to December 2020. Banking, Apple Pay, CC accounts, etc all handled with that phone. I never had a problem.

But, as I've explained multiple times to many people in this sort of discussion - I'm not in the habit of visiting sketchy websites, responding to spam email or text messages or leaving my iPhone in the hands of complete strangers.

But again, you went back so moot point.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
It seems that Android is also a beta released OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.