Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
between flesh and thought
Heres my workflow, I shoot weddings,

adjust photos in lightroom...export as tiff.....batch process denoise/save as jpeg...

Photos that I export form lightroom to jpeg show up as "jpeg".

Photos that come out of cs3 as jpeg show up as "adobe photoshop jpeg".

Clients cannot open "adobe photoshop jpeg", they can open "jpeg". This is not an extension issue, as both photos are .jpg. My current solution is to resave using photomechanic. For some reason, file size is retained and actually get larger when I do this. But I would rather not have to do this. in fact i should nothave to do this. There must be a way to have files come out of cs3 as jpeg and not "adobe photoshop jpeg", or there must be an easy way to just change the type with out messing with the files.

Let me know what you know...

Thanks

NickElls

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
I'm pretty sure that just means it was made in Photoshop, and it gave it its own icon.

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
This annoyed me because when i saved a JPG in photoshop it would make the file ALWAYS open in photoshop. Had to change the association for adobe jpg separate than normal jpg.

Artards

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
between flesh and thought
Well, the photomechanic way of resaving the files actually did not work. What I ended up having to do was to reload the photos into lightroom and export themas jpegs. since I did no processing to them in lightroom, it did not re compress them, but it did make sure that they were tagged correctly on export.

But you will know what I am talking about if you do this.

Take a photo that is not already a jpeg,...tiff for instance. Open it in cs3 and save it as a jpeg. Select the file in finder and get info on the icon. Kind:adobe photoshop jpeg.

Unfortunately my iphoto 08 and my clients iphoto will not import this "kind" of jpeg. If it is taged as a just a "jpeg" though it works fine. Though photo mechanic re tagged the photos correctly, it for some reason did not fool iphoto. It was not until I re imported the jpegs into lightroom and exported them again as jpegs that it fixed the problem. I will need to take this into account when doing my work flow so that I can avoid this tedious step.

Someone on an adobe board recomended creating a folder action to address this very issue. Unfortunately what ended happening is that the file got recompressed, and there fore some quality is lost. A minute amount for sure, but when clients preceive there photos should be in the 2-4 mb range and they receive 900 kb photos in some cases there is an issue. If anyone knows a way to shut off adobes "autographing" of jpegs i would love to hear it.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Well, the photomechanic way of resaving the files actually did not work. What I ended up having to do was to reload the photos into lightroom and export themas jpegs. since I did no processing to them in lightroom, it did not re compress them, but it did make sure that they were tagged correctly on export.

Take a photo that is not already a jpeg,...tiff for instance. Open it in cs3 and save it as a jpeg. Select the file in finder and get info on the icon. Kind:adobe photoshop jpeg.

Unfortunately my iphoto 08 and my clients iphoto will not import this "kind" of jpeg. If it is taged as a just a "jpeg" though it works fine. Though photo mechanic re tagged the photos correctly, it for some reason did not fool iphoto. It was not until I re imported the jpegs into lightroom and exported them again as jpegs that it fixed the problem. I will need to take this into account when doing my work flow so that I can avoid this tedious step.

Someone on an adobe board recomended creating a folder action to address this very issue. Unfortunately what ended happening is that the file got recompressed, and there fore some quality is lost. A minute amount for sure, but when clients preceive there photos should be in the 2-4 mb range and they receive 900 kb photos in some cases there is an issue. If anyone knows a way to shut off adobes "autographing" of jpegs i would love to hear it.

I had no problems opening a NEF file in CS3, saving it as a jpeg, and importing the jpeg into iPhoto 6.06 (sorry, no 8 here - I don't use iPhoto so I'm not interested in a paid upgrade).

The file association in OS X is with CS3 rather than Preview or some other program, but that just governs an association between the file type and the application marked as the default for handling that file type, and not the structure of the file itself. Jpeg exports from LR have an association to Preview as the default application. You can change the application association for all the CS3 associated jpegs easily enough (select one of the files in finder, hit :apple: i, select the desired application in the open with drop down, then click the change all button). Edit: I opened a different NEF and saved it as a jpeg and the new file was associated with Preview, so the file type association reassignment is a persistent one.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006

File Kind 'adobe photoshop jpg' not being able to import into iPhoto 8 is a flaw in that version of iPhoto, as there is no problem importing this type of fild kind with older version of iPhoto I have. So it's an annoying problem/bug with that version of iPhoto you are using. Can you and your client use an older version of iPhoto?

If not then, you'll have to wait for a fix from Apple (lol), or use some program that will resave/change the file kind to just jpg

jjcmini

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Amse problem resolved - sort of...

I have had the same problem recently and it has got that annoying that I have had to ring up adobe customer support. apart from the young Dutch guy not being able to save a file properly on CS3, he was little help at all.

he didnt understand why it would be doing that and after consulting his supervisor he told me that photoshop was doing nothing wrong and I should not have a problem... if i was not having a problem that why would I be on the phone to him?

I have eventually found that using a lover version of photoshop (CS2) it has worked that way. Otherwise you can get the same result.. that is the right one.. from opening the image in fireworks and saving it from there.

I think it has something to do with the a UNIX code value it adds to the scrip and photoshop CS3 is the only place in adobe it does that.

HeilMary

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
Having the same problem

I am having the exact same problem.

I have a brand new iMac, running CS3 (education version) and every time i save an image as a jpeg, it is labeled under "kind" as "Adobe Photoshop JPEG File" These files cannot be uploaded to the web (ie: myspace, etc) and cannot be opened by programs like iPhoto, or by other people who do not have photoshop. This is extremely irritating, it is not a problem with iPhoto or other programs that cannot handle this kind of file- Photoshop should save a jpeg as a regular jpeg file and not attach it's association to it. I don't have another photo program aside iPhoto (which will not open the files) and I should not have to use another program to save a simple jpeg image.

Is it possible that it is the education version doing this? is anyone else who is having this problem using the education version?

I'm a photographer and have been using photoshop on PC for over a decade and never run into this type of problem, this is my first mac computer and it seems like it’s not compatible with anything. I suppose I’m going to have to use bootcamp to install windows XP and use my old PC versions of photoshop, but that is ridiculous, I just spent over $3000 on this computer and software and can't even save a simple jpeg! I can’t believe more people haven’t mentioned this issue.

I don't believe CS3 for PC has this same issue from my experience. :/

joestas

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Same problem again

HeilMary I've had exactly the same problem, my mac is brand new (I'm also new to macs) but my CS3 is the FULL version, and it still does the same thing. I'm so annoyed with it! i dont have another programme that I can convert the images in, and I desperately need these files. I'm beginning to regret purchasing my mac... :(

joestas

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Solved!

I've managed to find a way to convert the 'adobe photoshop jpeg' into a normal jpeg for use in iphoto, and for other users to open without it going into photoshop. I located the files using the search function (cmd + spacebar), reopened them in photoshop, then saved again as jpeg (can tick 'as a copy' to keep original file, or dont tick to replace original jpeg), and SAVE ON DESKTOP. This will save the files as a 'normal' jpeg. You can then drag the files into iphoto as normal jpegs, from where you can preview without going into photoshop.

Its time consuming, but in my case, is worth the hassle. Annoying though! Hope that helps.

bemis

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
I've managed to find a way to convert the 'adobe photoshop jpeg' into a normal jpeg for use in iphoto, and for other users to open without it going into photoshop. I located the files using the search function (cmd + spacebar), reopened them in photoshop, then saved again as jpeg (can tick 'as a copy' to keep original file, or dont tick to replace original jpeg), and SAVE ON DESKTOP. This will save the files as a 'normal' jpeg. You can then drag the files into iphoto as normal jpegs, from where you can preview without going into photoshop.

Its time consuming, but in my case, is worth the hassle. Annoying though! Hope that helps.

This didn't work for me, but what I do to convert them to regular jpegs is open the image in preview (either right click on the file and open with > preview) or just drag the file to preview, and then just click on file > save or save as and click on jpeg and you're done.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I use PSE6 for edits, and it, too, saves it into an odd little jpg format that wants to open w/PSE6, instead of preview, like all my other jpegs

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Here's the EXIF tages that exiftool finds "Adobe" in:

Software : Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
XMP Toolkit : Adobe XMP Core 4.1-c036 46.276720, Mon Feb 19 2007 22:13:43
Creator Tool : Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh
ICC Profile Name : Nikon Adobe RGB 4.0.0.3000
Profile Description : Nikon Adobe RGB 4.0.0.3000

Maybe you could try adjusting those tags and see if the files are still associated with PS? What if you strip the EXIF information?

I've never had an issue using exported JPEGs from CS3 in other applications, or with Web uploads though I tend to use other tools to do straight conversions these days.

amoebanath

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
Solution

Having come for help myself, I managed to find an easy solution:

"Get Info" on the rogue AdobePhotoshopJPEGs, and go to "Opens With"
Here, select Preview.
Almost instantly the files changed to normal JPEGs, but I'm yet to see if my PC will open them :)

dmz

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
Canada
Playing tag...

Several people have given the right answer here, but I'm afraid it may be lost in all the discussions about EXIF tags, running a virtual PC (???) and dragging and dropping files on multiple apps to change "tags".

Apple's Finder tags files based on two criteria, the type/creator of a file, or the .xxx extension on the file. To determine the type/creator, a file must have a resource fork - which are only created by Macs, so only Mac-generated files will have this info. When Photoshop saves a file on a Mac, it creates that resource for the file and the Finder looks for this info first when determining what kind of file it is, and hence, which application owns/opens it. If the file has no resource, i.e., it was NOT created on a Mac, then the finder simply goes by the extension, .jpg for JPEGs, .tif or .tiff for TIFFs, etc.

This is a plus. On a non-mac system, ONLY the extensions are used to determine file type, so the OS doesn't know which application the file was created with, and files open with whatever the default application is for the type of file being examined. On a Mac, if you create a file with Photoshop - it opens with Photoshop, if you create text file, it opens with whichever editor created it - do you see how that's a positive? Otherwise, you get into these situations where the OS cannot distinguish between a PShop JPEG and, say, a camera JPEG - as on other OS's.

The problem experienced by the OP illustrates this point nicely. Saving a file as a JPEG in Photoshop on a Mac creates the resource which tells the OS that this JPEG is a Photshop JPEG, not one created by say, Preview, or Fireworks or whatever. However, as someone pointed out, using the "save for web" command creates a "raw" JPEG without the resource info, just as Windows or UNIX would - so those files are "generic", and will open with whatever JPEG-capable app you have, or on whatever platform it is sent to.

The solution, as pointed out by several others, is to "break" the association, which is easily done on a system-wide basis. Simply select a "Photoshop JPEG" file in the Finder (you can tell it's a Photoshop JPEG because of it's PS icon - part of the type/creator resource functionality) and select "Get Info" from the Finder menu. About halfway down the info window you see a section called "Open with" (see figure1 below). Here you can universally change all Photoshop tagged JPEGs to plain JPEGS by choosing Preview as the default app and clicking the "Change All" button (see figure 2). You can also choose to bypass the "mapping" (as it's called) on a one-time basis only, either by not clicking "Change All" there in the Get Info window, or by right-clicking and choosing "Open with:" and selecting the app from a list of eligible apps.

The downside is that your Mac will no longer be able to distinguish between different types of JPEGS - they will always open in Preview - just like Windows and UNIX, unless you right-click and choose something else.

I find myself using Preview more and more and Photoshop less and less for simple file transformations like these anyway, so this feature is working for me quite well - and always has.

dmz

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 3,140
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 3,118

geocat32987

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2009
I also am experiencing this, and is it a pain! I've used PCs all my life until now, and my :apple:Mac has caused more compatibility headaches than I ever saw with a PC. Adobe is also on my list of most annoying software companies.

I finally figured out the "Save for Web" detour, but I just wish these dumb roadblocks would stop popping up. As a designer, my computer time is valuable and I now spend half my time solving file handling problems. :mad:

In addition, I have had a huge problem with the way Acrobat handles the appearance of CMYK black, as it always shows it as a gray. But that's for a different thread...

bwanafide

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
hope this helps:
Just right-click (opt-click if you don't have a two-button mouse) the file and select Get Info. About 2/3 of the way down the Info panel, you'll see Open With. Select what you want. The JPG you have is a standard JPG.

nature launch

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
This works for me

This didn't work for me, but what I do to convert them to regular jpegs is open the image in preview (either right click on the file and open with > preview) or just drag the file to preview, and then just click on file > save or save as and click on jpeg and you're done.

Jes this works for me as well. but I had to click on jpeg 2000http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

MmmmPizza

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
Blur with icon view & Cover flow

I'm having a similar problem, small issue but VERY annoying. A JPEG that has not been saved thru Photoshop (CS3) has a white border in its icon view and is crystal clear, the exact same JPEG saved in PS looses the white border and its icon and cover flow are now blurry regardless of size of file. The Preview though opens it fine and clear. Any ideas why? Is this a Mac or PS issue?
Thanks

Martrese

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
Portland, OR

This is what did it for me. Thanks folks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.