Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I didn't want to hijack HomeingPigeon's thread regarding his first black and white conversion, so I'm starting one of my own.

Lovesong recommended that we read http://www.blackandwhitedigital.com/, and I did so quickly, but I didn't try the methods used on that website. They required Photoshop, and just wanted to try things out in Lightroom. Also, I didn't quite know how to change between the "luminosity" and "colour altering" conversion methods in Lightroom. :eek:

If ANYONE can comment on the b&w conversion of this photo, and how I could have done it different, that would be great. Forget the quality of the actual photography technique and such.

What I did was:

1. Adjusted brightness, and upped the exposure slightly.
2. Fiddled with the tone curve, and thought that a steeper curve (more contrast) looked better, but I also shifted the slider that dictates the central point of the tone curve (don't know what it's called) slightly to the right/lighter end of the curve to make the ground darker. I don't know if it made much of a difference, but anyway...
3. Played around with the greyscale mix to make the mouse and snake look better (in my eyes). However, I honestly had no idea what I was doing. :rolleyes:
4. Added vignetting.

Photo taken with Nikon D50 and Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 800, f1.4 setting, 1/40th second, in a dark section of the science museum.

It was a terrarium (aquarium) display with fake animals, so I had to shoot through the glass of the terrarium. I was totally limited in the way I could frame the shot because the mouse was at the wall of the terrarium, and I obviously didn't want to include the sides of the terrarium into the photo. :eek: I would have included a bit more of the mouse, and shot at f/2.8 if I had more time (to get the mouse a bit more focused, but yet still OOF). I wasn't planning to take any interesting photos while on vacation with 3 friends.....at a museum.

Attachments

• Snake and mouse.jpg
    Snake and mouse.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 114

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
can you believe I didn't spot the snake at first, my eyes were drawn to the right-hand side of the picture.

I always prefer Black & White pictures when they are quite light. To my eyes, when they are dark the black takes over the picture to much (hope that makes sense)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, I noticed that too. However, I find that my eye goes from mouse to snake immediately. This may have something to do with the fact that I took the photo and knew the snake was there, but.....

Anyway, while mucking around, I noticed that if I turned the contrast up really high, the snake looks like it's put under a spotlight while the mouse is less visible. In that case, eyes would probably be instantly drawn to the snake. Would that be better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.