Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 9.02.17 AM.png

This time, I am booted into a cloned external drive attached via USB (USB 2 is, of course, much slower than the internal SATA interface, but it’s running in the background). I also turned on verbose booting and and OpenCore Debugging in the OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) settings. If it stalls again at the 60-is percent mark during installation, hopefully there will be some clue as to what’s wrong. I’ll come back here with any information I can gather.

It never is.

Thanks, Apple!

This is probably our time’s digital version of “a watched pot never boils.” Just stick with the plan of letting it do whatever it’s doing. If necessary, let the thing run the whole day, even overnight. Maybe peek to look every so often as you go about other things. The only thing lost, if it fails ultimately, is a few hours of time to find out for certain.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I got the 🚫 symbol during the installation phase. I am now trying to finish the install on a Mac mini, after updating the EFI partition for that machine.

Okay. That didn’t work. It ended up in a boot loop.

Last edited:

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I got it to work! Eventually. Here’s what was necessary:

1. With OCLP, I made a USB installer for Sonoma on this machine.
  2. I booted it up with that inserted and held down ⌘ and V (to initiate Verbose mode) after selecting the USB installer in the OCLP boot picker.
  3. The installation proceeded without problems.
Why verbose mode makes a difference, I don’t understand at this point.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I got it to work! Eventually. Here’s what was necessary:

1. With OCLP, I made a USB installer for Sonoma on this machine.
  2. I booted it up with that inserted and held down ⌘ and V (to initiate Verbose mode) after selecting the USB installer in the OCLP boot picker.
  3. The installation proceeded without problems.
Why verbose mode makes a difference, I don’t understand at this point.
This makes me wonder…

Shortly after I discovered there was Verbose mode I have used it on almost all my Macs. I come from PC/DOS, so have always been cool with streaming code at boot.

At some point though, with my MacPro, I decided to turn it off. I went through the whole process of upgrading from Mojave to Monterey with it off, but after a few days of tweaking some stuff and having to use OCLP for a couple things I just decided to turn it back on. It was on with my upgrade to Sonoma.

My own MacBook Pro, which is an early 2008. already had that set because that's how I've always set it on this Mac. So, when I upgraded it to Monterey and then a few weeks later to Sonoma, verbose boot was on.

I am wondering then if things went so smooth for me simply because verbose boot was on by default. I guess I won't ever know. In any case, it's been back on with my MacPro and I've just left it that way now.

Last edited:
Reactions: DominikHoffmann
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.