Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
I have done a bit of searching around, but I'd love it if you would take a look at this ebay auction

I want to make the dive into DSLRs, And I think the D40 is the best way to do it (given a teenager's salary). I am mainly interested in the lenses. I don't care if the smaller lens doesn't have VR, but I wanted the 55-200mm to have image stabilization, given the distance and interest in exploring macro photography. I figure with these lenses, I can photograph the gorgeous landscapes in my area, as well as everyday uses (friends, family, etc.) and flowers and bugs and such. A larger SD card would be nice to have, along with the Lowepro Nova Mini AW Shoulder Bag and lens cleaning kit.

I understand the tripods are probably worthless, but I already have a tripod I could use.

So, is the price right? Am I missing something?

BTW, the camera comes under Nikon Warranty.

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
As long as you realize you're buying refurbished, it's a decent deal for a starter camera and start lenses. When you feel the need, get some better glass. In my opinion, buy the body only and save the money towards a good lens.

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Ah, you're right. They don't. As for the lenses, I'm not experienced with Nikon lenses besides the kit that came with my wife's D40. :(

Do you already have a selection of lenses? Just curious as why you're going Nikon.

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Ah, you're right. They don't. As for the lenses, I'm not experienced with Nikon lenses besides the kit that came with my wife's D40. :(

Do you already have a selection of lenses? Just curious as why you're going Nikon.

I do not. I'm leaning towards Nikon only because I like my point-and-shoot Coolpix L2, as well as a wide selection of lenses :p

Do you have any other suggestions? I'd be happy to hear them :D

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Who "refurbed" it? If it was Nikon, that's one thing. In some cases, however, the seller gets the camera back as a return, wipes it down with a silicone cloth, puts it back in its original box and calls it "refurbed". Furthermore, Brooklyn camera stores tend to be legendary, and not in a good way. I would be very, very careful.

Are they even an authorized Nikon reseller?

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
As long as you realize you're buying refurbished, it's a decent deal for a starter camera and start lenses. When you feel the need, get some better glass. In my opinion, buy the body only and save the money towards a good lens.

I've been looking into these eBay kits too. They look like good deals. Nowhere does it say that it is reconditioned or refurbished. How do you know?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Looks as though this particular auction has ended.

It's a Brooklyn, NY store and chances are that if you look it up on resellerratings.com you'll find that it is not exactly a stellar place from which to buy camera gear or any other electronics. I'd stay far, far away....

Why not buy locally, where you can handle the camera and lenses, see and feel them for yourself and if you have any problems have a place to go?

Aside from that, check out B&H if you want a truly reliable online dealer. Also Penn Camera, ePhotocraft.com, Ace Photo, Berger Brothers, Allen Camera..... there are some reliable dealers out there. Don't get suckered by a deal on eBay that looks too good to be true....

ETA: Just ran a quick Google and, lo and behold:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/ManhattanStores/h0033.htm

You don't want to deal with this outfit!

NintendoChick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Thanks for all the help guys! As I live in a (really) small own, buying locally can be a bit of a problem. Our local camera shop likes high prices (it's not really their fault), and special order everything. I like the idea of having somewhere to go If I need help though.

Do you think I could negotiate a discount if I buy the camera and the 55-200mm VR lens together?

This thread proves the merit of asking you guys BEFORE making the purchase.:D

Stopsignguy

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
NJ
Also you may consider looking at Amazon as a place to get your camera. I just recently bought a Canon XSi kit for $820, $80 below retail and with the ease of mind of dealing through Amazon. Right now though, the kit only costs $791 so it seems a very good deal.

at Amazon;
New Nikon D40 with 18-55mm kit lens - $468.75
Same kit with 55-200mm (no VR) plus 2 Nikon School DVD - $649.99

I'm not too familiar with Nikon lens, but I'm assuming VR is similar to Canon's Image stabilizer, which makes that ebay auction a pretty good deal (albeit a supposedly "refurbished" unit) factoring in the extras, but Amazon offers piece of mind should any problems arise and you can get the regular kit for $200 lens and put the money to a better lens.

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I won't recommend starting with bunch of ****** lenses, instead, either get something that will be a good walk around. Like tamron 17-50, or even the d40 kt lens which is 18-55 and then decide if you need more tele power or not.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Do you think I could negotiate a discount if I buy the camera and the 55-200mm VR lens together?

NO. Every beginner thinks he is going to need to big, long 200mm telephoto lens. Few people actually need theses and those who do find they need a more expensive, faster version. Wait until you've shot 1,000 frames with the kit 18-55 or 18-70 or whatever you get then deside which second lens you need based on which shots the kit lens could not get. Maybe you will find that you need a faster lens, f/5.6 is not enough or something wide or a macro lens or that what yu really need is a speedlight (flash) or a good tripod and not a second lens at all. After the first thousand shots you will know.

And NO, I doubt they are be able to discount much. You'd be best off going with any of the first tier on-line retailers (B&H, Amazon, ..)

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Here's my advice to you (and to my friend who just got his camera with the same advice). Go to eBay and search 'dell coupon'. Look for an E&A (Electronics and Accessories) coupon for 10% off that doesn't exclude cameras (ask the seller if need be) -- you should get it for about $4-10 and it'll give you $50+ off. Anyways, buy a Canon EOS-400 (Rebel XTi). It's a great camera with a good screen and directly competes with the Nikon D40.

Also here's a great starter lens.
http://sigma4less.com/canon-zoom-wi...d-and-40d-digital-slr-cameras--imported-.html

It's $120 and it is imported . . there's no difference between the imported and US versions of lenses besides that you may have to send the lens internationally for the warranty if something were to happen instead of New York.

It's a great starter setup, most definitely. Keep in mind that with DSLRs or SLRs in general, it's the lens/glass that makes the image quality and not so much the camera.

One last word of advice. There's really no wrong way to go brand-wise, although I'd advise sticking to Nikon or Canon for lens selection purposes. Go to your nearest Best Buy, Circuit City, or what not and try out the DSLRs. Not to actually take photos with them, but just to hold them. Which ever one feels most comfortable in your hands, buy.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
I would personally suggest going with these guys on ebay Click Here I have worked with this company for a number of purchases. They have been good to me, and others that have purchased from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.