Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
So its coming up on that time of year "Christmas time." I'm thinking of buying my aunt a lens for her Digital Rebel. I'm curious about what kinds of lenses would be good for her. She does a lot of landscapes, as she travels a bit. She has the kit 18-55 lens and also the 10-22. I kinda wanted to buy her a nice prime. I was looking at the 28mm f/1.8. She might like to be able to play around with its depth of field... also would be great for those low light shots. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
You might consider a longer prime since her landscape shots will probably be outdoors and stopped down (ie. almost as sharp as a prime on her zooms.) 28mm is pretty close (even on a crop body) to play with depth of field. Have you considered:

50mm f/1.8 ($75) or f/1.4 ($300)
60mm macro ($350) - this is a *really* sharp portrait lens with the bonus of macro
85mm f/1.8 ($300)

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
You might consider a longer prime since her landscape shots will probably be outdoors and stopped down (ie. almost as sharp as a prime on her zooms.) 28mm is pretty close (even on a crop body) to play with depth of field. Have you considered:

50mm f/1.8 ($75) or f/1.4 ($300)
60mm macro ($350) - this is a *really* sharp portrait lens with the bonus of macro
85mm f/1.8 ($300)

Is there a significant difference between the 50mm 1.8 and 1.4? Other than maximum aperture, of course :eek:

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Yeah, mostly the aperture and build quality -- but it's $75!! It's a fantastic lens to learn depth of field tricks.

I'm not sure how "advanced" she is, or rather, how interested she is in the art of photography rather than just capturing pictures on the road. People in the latter group (IMO) don't like primes as much.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Yeah, mostly the aperture and build quality -- but it's $75!! It's a fantastic lens to learn depth of field tricks.

I'm not sure how "advanced" she is, or rather, how interested she is in the art of photography rather than just capturing pictures on the road. People in the latter group (IMO) don't like primes as much.

She's a little more than a beginner at this point. I think she'd love to be more artful in her photography. I've seen this in examples of pictures she's framed (that she's taken). They're not necessarily just travel snapshots, but she tried to "artsy" about it. :)

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Gotcha. I'd go for a longer (50--->80mm) prime. 28mm is a little more task specific (ie. close portraits). What a great gift idea!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.