Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you happy with the current Apple 6 day (48 Business Hours) turn around for customer complaints?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

seargent Abu Dhabi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Abu Dhabi
Ok so here are the two versions of my Apple computer issue.

I will start will Apple's first; A top spec iMac despatched from Cork in Ireland on 6th October 2017 to Abu Dhabi UAE and a confirmation email sent saying delivery on the 10th October 2017.

I get a tracking number check on the 10th online as nothing arrives which says delivery now the 12th October 2017. On the 12th nothing, I check delivery now on 15th October once again nothing. DHL are the shippers and their site says, "Shipment on hold".

I phone Apple on 16th October 2017 and I am told we have no idea why it's stopped we will investigate and get back to you by email in 48 hours no we do not call people we only email people you may want to call DHL yourself. Note that term 48 hours..... so today is the 19th October and by the common definition of 48 hours is long past so I phone back.

When can I expect an email? Now I know this is the Irish arm of Apple but this must be the most ingenious excuse I have heard yet for poor customers service "When we say 48 hours we actually mean 48 working business hours 9-5 not 48 hours so we don't have to contact you until next Monday really" After a short period incredulous laughter…… I ask OK so do you know what the problem is oh no she says we are still investigating. (See below)

DHL's version I called them on the 16th October after Apple suggested I do their work for them. Nope, they have no idea what the problem is either as to why this shipment is on hold but guess what they will investigate and call me back within 24 hours.

You guessed it nothing. So today I phoned them back to inquire why not.

After being tossed around with no sorry Sir we can’t locate your records to such ignoramus excuses like we have been unable to scan the shipment on because the barcode label might be damaged, and its got a Lithium-Ion battery in it, I escalate a few times.

I finally get some sanity from their customer service team network manager who proceeds to tell me that Apple despatched the unit without the correct paperwork for coming to the UAE as it has to have a specific set of documents as you guessed it, it contains a Lithium-Ion Battery.

So “When was this grand cock-up detected and what did you do about it?”

“On the 10th October 2017 and we told Apple on the 11th October 2016.” I will put aside that that’s crap as the shipment was put on hold immediately it was received in East Midland on the 7th October 2017 per their website.

So why was I not told when I called? Hmmm can’t answer that…… why did I not receive a call as promised? Sorry and all that jazz we will make a gesture of good will and pay your telephone and inconvenience. The item will be dispatched tonight now Apple has provided the paperwork and the said manager will personally call on 20th October to advise on progress.

At least this is starting to sound like customer service.

Back to Apple, they would have known of this when I called on the 16th October 2017 and decided to lie. They have compounded the issue by only sending the correct paperwork on the 18th October despite being notified on the 11th October AND customer services tried to cover Apple's cock up by saying they have no idea when it will be shipped or why it is on hold when called on the 19th October 2017.

I do not like being lied to nor being taken for an idiot by Apple. Needless to say, any further purchase of an Apple product in this household is over and strangely enough so will it be with any company venture. Pity they could have had another 3 iMacs and 3 iPhones and 3 laptops etc.

Let this be a warning to people Apple Customer Service died with Steve Jobs.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Really. Another since Steve died thread. You really think Steve was in control of customer service reps?

Sometimes stuff happens. Mistakes happen. Simple as that.

You have three options. Stay angry and do what you are doing now, contact Customer Relations and calmly explain why you are angry (calmness is key. No one wants to help someone that is angry). Or, send Cook an email (calmly and professionally) and you most likely will get a call from his Executive Team.

I had some pretty bad issues so I emailed Cook and received a call from his Executive Team. His team resolved my issue and proceeded to follow up with me for 2 months after. Tim Cook actually does read he emails and assign the emails to different members of his team.

seargent Abu Dhabi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Abu Dhabi
Yes. Mlrollin91 I do, he was in control of the company ethos. When Steve jobs departed Apple initially it went the same way. After his return and before he passed away and Apple returned to the company it was with great products and stalwart customer service.

Do you think for a moment the service reps act outside of the company ethos when they say 48 hours which is quite a poor service to start with when they actually mean an even worse 6 business day turn around to make the first contact with a customer after a complaint? No, they do not. This is obviously Apple Policy but Apple are too ashamed to say it the way it is so they hide behind linguistic mumbo jumbo.

I have contacted customer services and calmly told them of my issues. The mantra given was the 48 hours we told you is 48 business hours i.e. 6 business days so we do not have to speak to you until Monday (6 days since complaint) which I am sorry is appaling customer service in this day and age. To be fobbed off with "Yes perhaps we should have mentioned it was actually six days in reality but you are the first person who highlighted this and I will pass this on to my manager" makes me feel like I am thought of a gullible idiot.

Yes, mistakes happen that I accept I make them often, the difference is I hold up my hands and say I have cocked up. Apple is not doing that and that is a sign of poor customer service. What is even more galling is the lying.

If I could, (albeit it took a while) find out all the information I did from DHL do you not think Apple was aware of the problem as well way before I called them on the 16th October? Considering they were apparently told on the 11th October they must be. They issued the corrected paperwork for the item to be moved which was received by DHL yesterday (18th October 2017).

So sorry yes I am angry, not because of the mistake but because of the deceit. So yes I may write to Mr Cook or I may do the time honoured thing and just remove my patronage.
[doublepost=1508443338][/doublepost]

I can but quote from the article itself.....

"And if the CEO of a large and influential corporation emails you back personally, even if you don’t like what he has to say, that’s not bad customer service."

He did not as in my case lie and say he did know what the problem was and that it was still under investigation when clearly the problem lay with a mistake Apple made. He did not hide behind questionable service standards as to the definition of 48 hours vs 6 working days to react to a complaint.

So sorry reply not really relevant to the case under review.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
If you feel so badly about it, then cancel the order and get your money back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.