Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
UK
I've been looking at the Panasonic TZ7, the Fuji F200 EXR and the Ricoh CX1.
I'm hardly the biggest photography guru (know nothing...) and was wondering if anyone had experience with these cameras?
I'm not hugely interested in features like video capture, and am basically after a 'decent', 'compactish' point and shoot camera to keep on me for a wide range of uses.

There doesn't seem to be a huge difference between them after reading tonnes of reviews, and I can't weigh up the pros and cons myself :)

Have I missed out any other models that I should be considering?

I'm tempted to get the ricoh simply because of its physical looks, and am hoping the IQ differences between the cameras are minimal - am I insane?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you're leaning towards Ricoh then perhaps also look into the Canon G9 or G11, skip the G10.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Thanks for your advice, they were some models I hadn't considered.

After a bit more research and thinking about what I want from a compact, I've gone with your suggestion and ordered a Canon G9, the G11 was too much money for my simple usage.

Looks like it'll be a nice camera to learn some basics on while having the advantage of being pocket sized (ish), I just hope the IQ compares to newer 'auto' point and shoots like I was looking at.

At least I've got someone else to blame if I'm not happy with my uneducated purchase :)

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Yeah, the S90 looks like a nice piece of kit - but (as usual?) it's irritatingly (ridiculously?) priced over here compared to the USA, makes it hard to buy it just out of principle :)

I ordered a refurb G9 at 1/3 of the cost of the S90, and considering my needs (despite the faster lens) I think it'll do the job just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.