Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haaalp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
I bought a used 2010 MBP base model that had been dropped on the power cable. Paid $20 USD. After opening it up I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief that the power PCB was separate from the logic board! I'm guessing that is because that particular part must require replacement more often than the other i/o ports.

I bought a new after market power PCB on Amazon for $15. Replaced it and it still wouldn't power up, but luckily I had a backup MagSafe 1 power cable and was able to check that power cable wasn't also faulty. Turns out they were both damaged. I wonder if the original owner didn't try changing the power cable, because it did appear that unit was opened up, and there was a prior attempt at fixing prying it and sticking things in it.

So I ordered a MagSafe 1 cable only ($5), soldered it onto the power brick, threw in an old 128GB SSD that I had laying around, used DiskMakerX thanks to the advice of @Fishrrman, and she's good to go. The original owner kept the HD, and with it kept the HD screws lol. Luckily I have about 50 of them lying around. Not a bad unit for $40. Oh also found a grounded cable extension for $2 at a thrift store.

You can see in the pics the extent of the damage. Looks more like they dropped it from waist height on a concrete floor. Ouch. The major issue with the case was trying to square it up. Like dropping an egg and trying to piece it back together again heh. Anyway, it works perfectly fine except the GPU which is very weak.

Right now it's running 10.11. Any idea what is the best, most stable OS I could upgrade / downgrade to? High Sierra? Also, the SSD only seems to be running at 100 MB/s. Was hoping for more than that.

I bought it for the fun of trying to fix it and to give to my girlfriend so she uses my 2015 13" MBP less.

Thanks for your support. You guys are doing good things helping people refurbish old electronics. Imagine how much space you are saving in landfills (and aluminum wreckers) ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 151
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.