Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Here's an excerpt from an interesting article for those who are thinking about a Nexus 7

"The Nexus 7 has only been in my hands for a few days, yet it has already changed my habits of using a tablet. That is the mark of a device that is a good fit for what I do. The 7-inch tablet is very comfortable to carry and use, and that is the big draw of the tablet from Google."

"The 7-inch tablet is perfect for consuming media, especially reading ebooks, and the Nexus 7 the best of the lot due to its light form. I use the Kindle app for reading, but there are several alternatives in Android for those who prefer those.

The Nexus 7 ships with the Chrome browser as the default browser, and it may be the best mobile browser on any platform. It works smoothly on the Nexus 7, and the ability to have all bookmarks at hand is priceless. I also find it useful to see the last web sites visited on every device on which I use Chrome."

source:http://www.zdnet.com/nexus-7-hands-on-form-and-function-meet-flash-and-panache-7000001332/

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Too bad the screen is so washed out and littered with problems such as flickering on autobright. You'd think that would be an important consideration on a tablet which is just a screen. Hard to read that ebook on the perfect form factor when your screen flickers like it's on acid on low brightness settings.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Too bad the screen is so washed out and littered with problems such as flickering on autobright. You'd think that would be an important consideration on a tablet which is just a screen. Hard to read that ebook on the perfect form factor when your screen flickers like it's on acid on low brightness settings.

Those two issues are software related. They have to do with the tegra 3s gpu drivers. Expect an update pretty soon to solve it. The HTC one x tegra 3 version had similar issues at launch.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Those two issues are software related. They have to do with the tegra 3s gpu drivers. Expect an update pretty soon to solve it. The HTC one x tegra 3 version had similar issues at launch.

It's not that. The screen is washed out. It's the IPS LED they decided to use. Colour saturation is very poor and resolution is bad compared to the Retina. When you're surrounded by Retina screens like I am it's virtually impossible to downgrade to a screen like this.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It's not that. The screen is washed out. It's the IPS LED they decided to use. Colour saturation is very poor and resolution is bad compared to the Retina. When you're surrounded by Retina screens like I am it's virtually impossible to downgrade to a screen like this.

You're comparing a $500 iPad 3 retina screen to a $200 IPS Led screen? They probably didn't put a high resolution and front facing camera to cut costs. And the screen isn't that bad at all. No tablet can compare to the iPad 3 screen right now.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
You're comparing a $500 iPad 3 retina screen to a $200 IPS Led screen? They probably didn't put a high resolution and front facing camera to cut costs. And the screen isn't that bad at all. No tablet can compare to the iPad 3 screen right now.

The Nexus 7 has both an HD 1280-by-800 display AND a front facing camera. Not saying it's better than the iPad, but it does have those two things which you said it didn't have.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
My what fertile imaginations from those who may not even know what a Nexus 7 is. Google search is one way to educate yourselves.

It's Apples fault anyway, if they weren't so late to wake up & see the light, I'd have bought a 7" iPad long ago.

Sadly it's still vaporware.

So if you're feeling insecure or angry, like your posts suggest, you might want to blame the company with the fruity logo. Go ahead, bash away :)

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008

I paid $250 for the Nexus 7 in Canada. I paid $99 for my iPhone 4S.

I don't care about cheap stuff. I care about what works and what's available. I could go out a buy a really cheap car... the point is, is it any good?

Zillions of people are buying iPads. It's not the price: it's that it's a compelling piece of technology. If we're going to review a "competing" product, it can't just be based on price. It's about whether the product is any good.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Skipping the part about a mandatory contract vs no contract is always a great way to prove your point.

Sure, but it's not $200. It's $250. That's half the cost of an iPad.

Reality: something could cost $1 and nobody may need it. It's irrelevant how much it costs. Is it USEFUL to people or is it a complete waste of money, no matter how cheap it is?

My view is it's a waste and sales will fall off of a cliff.

After a few months have past, I can't wait to see all of you make a bunch of excuses as to why it's not sticking.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Aree you kidding. The pixel density of the nexus 7 is very close to that if the retina ipad. Its only a little lower. It is much better than the ipad 2s. From a normal viewing distanc you can't make out pixels. Even when looking close you really have to look for them. The colors on the nexus are fine as well.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It's Apples fault anyway, if they weren't so late to wake up & see the light, I'd have bought a 7" iPad long ago.

That's funny considering there would be no modern tablet revolution had it not been for the iPad.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Aree you kidding. The pixel density of the nexus 7 is very close to that if the retina ipad. Its only a little lower. It is much better than the ipad 2s. From a normal viewing distanc you can't make out pixels. Even when looking close you really have to look for them. The colors on the nexus are fine as well.

Really? YOU ARE WRONG.

iPad 3 ppi: 264 ppi
Nexus 7: 149 ppi

The iPad has 115 MORE ppi than the Nexus. The difference is substantial. And yes, you can see pixels. The Nexus is grainy, and I'm not the first who has said this on these forums.

----------

That's funny considering there would be no modern tablet revolution had it not been for the iPad.

This.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Really? YOU ARE WRONG.

The iPad has 115 MORE ppi than the Nexus. The difference is substantial. And yes, you can see pixels. The Nexus is grainy, and I'm not the first who has said this on these forums.

If you're going to make a claim as boldly as that, you really ought to check your numbers before making a complete fool of yourself.

The Nexus 7 has a PPI of approximately 216ppi.

YOU ARE WRONG.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Really? YOU ARE WRONG.

1280x800 at 7 inches is 216 PPI, guy. The iPad 3 only has 48 more PP's.

The Nexus 7 is hardly grainy, though not quite as sharp as the retina iPad. Not that a vast majority of people would notice.

You do realize the iPad is also an IPS TFT display, right? Retina isn't a type of screen, rather a marketing term denoting it's high pixel density.

Last edited:

Deslock

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2004

Though Android doesn't antialias text as nicely as iOS, the Nexus 7's resolution being lower than the iPad3 (and Transformer Pad Infinity) doesn't bother me. 1280x800 on a 7" screen means its DPI is low enough that stuff doesn't need to be double-pixelated, and its DPI is high enough that jagged edges aren't especially annoying.

The Nexus 7's screen quality in terms of vibrance and viewing angles is only slightly better than the iPod touch, which is to say it's inferior to the iPad, iPhone, and Galaxy Nexus (AMOLED), but is still usable.

At this price point I can't complain. GameStop had a promotion for 50% extra trade-in credit (I got $41 for ~6 old Wii games) and they gave me a $25 GameStop Giftcard (in addition to the $25 Google Play credit).

Because of the Nexus 7's weight and size, I prefer it for reading and portability. I look forward to trying out the upcoming iPad mini.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
1280x800 at 7 inches is 216 PPI, guy. The iPad 3 only has 48 more PP's.

The Nexus 7 is hardly grainy, though not quite as sharp as the retina iPad. Not that a vast majority of people would notice.

You do realize the iPad is also an IPS TFT display, right? Retina isn't a type of screen, rather a marketing term denoting it's high pixel density.

Yes I know Retina is a marketing term, and I do stand corrected: the iPad 3 only has 48 more PPI than the Nexus 7. That is SIGNIFICANT and my point stands. You are wrong: it is a large jump in PPI from the Nexus 7 to the iPad 3.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
48 PPI is a massive jump in pixel density. It's huge.

Not when the lower PPI is already fairly high. FWIW, I have 20/20 vision and I cannot see a difference in clarity between my MacBook Pro with Retina display, iPad 3rd generation and Nexus 7. They're all pin-sharp.
If you're really having issues with text being grainy, there is likely a hardware issue with your product and you should either get a replacement (or in your case, a refund sounds like the better choice?).

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Not when the lower PPI is already fairly high. FWIW, I have 20/20 vision and I cannot see a difference in clarity between my MacBook Pro with Retina display, iPad 3rd generation and Nexus 7. They're all pin-sharp.
If you're really having issues with text being grainy, there is likely a hardware issue with your product and you should either get a replacement (or in your case, a refund sounds like the better choice?).

What is "fairly high"? And who determines what that is? Second, it is a fact that the images on a Retina display are noticeably more clear and sharper than than the Nexus 7. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't have very good vision.

Second, POST PICTURES OF YOUR NEXUS 7. Immediately, or else stop participating in these threads because we know that you're lying and don't actually own one.

Renzatic

Suspended
48 PPI is a massive jump in pixel density. It's huge.

It's like a 23% difference in PPs. That's not massive at all. If you were to hover both tablets 3 inches in front of your face and stare at it for a few, you'd probably be more likely to notice the pixels in the Nex before the ipad. But at regular viewing distance? The difference is practically nil.

I'm with Macbook above. If the text looks grainy and unreadable, you've probably got a faulty tablet. Or you went out and spent $200 just so you could come on here and say "I know it sucks! I bought one and it BLOOOOOWWWWWSSS".

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
What is "fairly high"? And who determines what that is? Second, it is a fact that the images on a Retina display are noticeably more clear and sharper than than the Nexus 7. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't have very good vision.

I have 20/20 vision. Good enough for you?

Unfortunately, when talking about clarity, it's never a fact, whether or not you like it.

Second, POST PICTURES OF YOUR NEXUS 7. Immediately, or else stop participating in these threads because we know that you're lying and don't actually own one.

Nooo! You totally caught me out with your incredible knowledge of how I don't actually own one! :eek:

IMAG0316_2.jpg

I bet you feel dumb now. Don't worry, I would if I made stupid accusations like that too.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
It's like a 23% difference in PPs. That's not massive at all. If you were to hover both tablets 3 inches in front of your face and stare at it for a few, you'd probably be more likely to notice the pixels in the Nex before the ipad. But at regular viewing distance? The difference is practically nil.

I'm with Macbook above. If the text looks grainy and unreadable, you've probably got a faulty tablet. Or you went out and spent $200 just so you could come on here and say "I know it sucks! I bought one and it BLOOOOOWWWWWSSS".

There are other people on here saying it looks grainy too. This is NOT just me. And 23% pixel density is what separates Apple between others: they consistently outclass their competitors by offering more advanced, better technology with as good or better battery life. 23% is a massive engineering feat with the display technology they're dealing with. And yes, the Sexus DOES look grainy.

And I won't even get into the fact that in order for the Sexus to qualify as Retina, you'd need MORE PPI than the iPad 3 because you naturally hold the smaller device, the Sexus, closer to your face. It'd be closer to 300 ppi to qualify as a Retina.

----------

I have 20/20 vision. Good enough for you?

Unfortunately, when talking about clarity, it's never a fact, whether or not you like it.

Nooo! You totally caught me out with your incredible knowledge of how I don't actually own one! :eek:

IMAG0316_2.jpg

I bet you feel dumb now. Don't worry, I would if I made stupid accusations like that too.

It is a fact and it is reality. There is no denying it. Apple's Retina screens offer some of the best clarity out of any screen because at the distance a user holds it from their face they CANNOT reliably discern individual pixels on the screen.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
And yes, the Sexus DOES look grainy.

Faulty product for sure. Please exchange it, I'm sure Asus would be very interested to see the issue with your product.

It is a fact and it is reality. There is no denying it. Apple's Retina screens offer some of the best clarity out of any screen because at the distance a user holds it from their face they CANNOT reliably discern individual pixels on the screen.

Why are you avoiding the fact that I've just proven your baseless accusation about me not actually owning a Nexus 7 to be completely wrong? Were you expecting me to leave this thread and never return? :D

I cannot discern individual pixels on the screen on the Nexus 7, or my Retina Display MacBook Pro, or my iPad 3, or my HTC One X. That is a fact. Maybe your eyes are much better than mine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.