Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjoyra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
OK,

So I've been researching over exactly what DSLR would fit me the best and I'm at a loss. Especially, since this will be my first DSLR and I plan to continue this passion.

I'm looking at the D80 (as it is more in my price range) and I would be able to afford more lenses and what not.

I've noted that most users agree that lenses are typically more important than the body of the camera. Which is why I am slighted to the D80 as opposed to the D300 - due to monetary reasons. However, supposedly there's due for a D90/whatever name sometime in the fall?

I'm willing to wait if the general consensus believes it might be worth it. Approximately how much would one believe the price difference from D80 will be from the "new one"? Would it even be worth it to wait that long to pay extra money for something not that special (even though D80s would probably drop more even in price?)?

Basically, I suppose I'm just wondering if D80 is a pretty good starting DSLR? And either way should I wait for this fall in hopes of a "larger" price drop, the "new d90" or purchase a d80 now.

EDIT: I do not own any existing equipment - I'm basically starting off from scratch.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Quick question, are you tied to the Nikon brand with existing lenses or anything? The Canon XSi should be just about the same price or within a few $$.

We can provide better guidance knowing if you have any existing equipment.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
The d80 is great, but I almost think (for the purpose of eventual resale and immediate value) that a used d200 might be a better path. For about $800 (even lower if you get lucky) you can get a d200 body, which has pretty much reached the lowest its going to get in the near future. I paid MORE then that for my d80 bodies and it pains me to think back :p but at least consider that as an option.

The d80 is a great camera, but in terms of bodies it is getting a bit aged. Its not short on features at all, it is just due for a replacement if all the signs are correct. Even if you don't buy its replacement, the current model will become much cheaper (ergo, d300 -> d200 drop)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've noted that most users agree that lenses are typically more important than the body of the camera.

Basically, I suppose I'm just wondering if D80 is a pretty good starting DSLR? And either way should I wait for this fall in hopes of a "larger" price drop, the "new d90" or purchase a d80 now.

The way I figure it I could wait and eventually they will be much better and relly cheap but it is worth buying NOW so I can use it now If you can put it to use now buy it now.

First you agree that it doesn't matter so much then you worry about small incremental differences between two bodies. Nikon is like Apple, they don't talk about products that are still in development. One thing you can bank on with Nikon - they are very conservative and make change only in small increments. If there is a D90 in the works it will be a lot like the D80. Yes the price od USED D80s might drop some after the D90 (or D80x) comes out but if you are willing to buy a used camera then there are many good options right now D200, D70, D50 that are all bargains on the used market. (But you know what, no one that looks at your pictures will know which body you used or if you bought it new or used)

So what are you planning to shoot and what lenses are you looking at?

likeavaliant

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
you should wait until fall for the d90.
then, i'd say wait until next year for the d100... and so on.

seriously, just buy the d80 right now. you can start taking photos NOW instead of later. It won't matter. would you rather keep playing the waiting game or get yourself immersed in a system now?

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
you should wait until fall for the d90.
then, i'd say wait until next year for the d100... and so on.

seriously, just buy the d80 right now. you can start taking photos NOW instead of later. It won't matter. would you rather keep playing the waiting game or get yourself immersed in a system now?

I agree, if the next model was due in a month or so, then yeah, wait. But the fall??? :eek: You miss out on a whole spring and summer full of good shots! By the fall, you would be well in tune with how the camera works. Why waste all that precious time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.