Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inarush

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Ann Arbor MI
My workflow requires a lot of coding, and sometimes pasting code from an editor to a terminal window. In those occasions, keeping the terminal window "always on top" is very convenient.

Up until High Sierra, I used to use mySIMBL with its "Afloat" plugin. It was quite tricky to get it working - one had to disable SIP, install mySIMBL and re-enable SIP again - but it worked fine. It looked like this:

mte-keep-afloat-featured.png

With Mojave, however, it no longer works. Actually, it does - but SIP must be permanently disabled. I mean, not only for installing it, but for using it as well. And I don't to take the risk of using Mojave with SIP permanently disabled.

So, I'm looking for a replacement. Does anyone know an alternative way of making a window stay on top in macOS Mojave? Thanks in advance.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
In JAVA I would write:

frame.setAlwaysOnTop(true);

That still works, so there must be a way for any app.
;JOOP!

Using Swing instead of JavaFX? Why?
[doublepost=1551104400][/doublepost]
My workflow requires a lot of coding, and sometimes pasting code from an editor to a terminal window. In those occasions, keeping the terminal window "always on top" is very convenient.

Up until High Sierra, I used to use mySIMBL with its "Afloat" plugin. It was quite tricky to get it working - one had to disable SIP, install mySIMBL and re-enable SIP again - but it worked fine. It looked like this:

mte-keep-afloat-featured.png

With Mojave, however, it no longer works. Actually, it does - but SIP must be permanently disabled. I mean, not only for installing it, but for using it as well. And I don't to take the risk of using Mojave with SIP permanently disabled.

So, I'm looking for a replacement. Does anyone know an alternative way of making a window stay on top in macOS Mojave? Thanks in advance.

I cannot imagine any app offering this feature without SIP disabled, as I believe it is the only way for it to work.

You might be out of luck, but I wish you luck, anyway.

Reactions: inarush

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Were you able to find an alternative that works on modern OS's? I missing have the Afloat option available, especially while video conferencing from home right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.