Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverlakerCA

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Over the years I’ve shot lots of short clips using various cameras like Panasonic, Nikon and now Fuji - that is in addition to the iPhone.

I’d love to catalog them like I do with photos when I used apps for stills.
What are my options?
Thanks

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

prometheus12

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2019
HermitCrab has an app which is under development but the latest build is very promising. There's also VLC and Elmedia player but those are primarily video players with playlist support. HermitCrap (free) supports tags.

silverlakerCA

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2020
HermitCrab has an app which is under development but the latest build is very promising. There's also VLC and Elmedia player but those are primarily video players with playlist support. HermitCrap (free) supports tags.
I can't find HermitCrab or its app. Can you steer me in the right direction? Interesting sounding

prometheus12

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2019

The developer used to be super responsive adding new features but he posted he got busy so new features have slowed down.

silverlakerCA

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I wasn't happy with Hermit Crab.
However, I might spring for Videux, which really is a great app. My coworker bought it within half an hour of trying it.

talino

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
Is there anything similar to Videux that can store a local sample of each video file (say, sampling 1 frame per second at half resolution) and allow for fast scrubbing of offline volumes? Videux is using h264 for proxies at full frame rate and resolution, which is a huge space waster. Thanks.

zqbobs

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
Take a look at NeoFinder. There is a video "contact sheet" feature that will play thumbnails of cataloged videos. This app is great in general for cataloging any offline or online content.

talino

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
I've been using NeoFinder for years. It doesn't really work as a video cataloging app IMHO. The contact sheet feature creates a single JPG file with a contact sheet of the video, and stores it either alongside the original file (which is useless if you need offline access) or in a central location (which you then need to manually go file by file in order to view the sheets).

What I'm looking for is a browser that:

- Scans folders of video files including metadata
- Displays videos as thumbnails and allows launching each video
- If the files are offline, still display the thumbnails and allow scanning through a lo-res sample of the file

Maybe this is too niche and doesn't exist (outside high-end pro solutions which would be too pricy for me anyway).

zqbobs

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
Maybe GraphicConverter? It can browse photos and videos and produce contact sheets of image thumbnails, but I don't know if it can do the same with video thumbnails.

dickiedunn

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2019
Were you able to find a good solution? I'm looking for the same thing. Would like to the ability to add tags that are specific to the application and not universal (ie; in the finder, spotlight).

talino

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
- Movie Explorer Pro is great, but it is not a personal video cataloger, it's more of a commercial movie database (and an excellent one at that).
- Usher is cheaper that Lightroom but if you already have Lightroom then Usher is not an alternative. Lightroom does almost everything I wrote above, but only scans thumbnails when the media is online unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.