Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Has anyone heard anything about Apple activity at PMA? I don't recall they're having done much at the show in the past in terms of upgrades, etc. http://www.pmai.org/index.cfm/ci_id/33573.htm Apple is not surprisingly present with a booth (location: X128 - which I'm sure means something in conjunction with a map) Anyone expecting anything in particular from Apple to coincide with the show?

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
iSLR :)

An Aperture seems appropriate. But who knows. How about those upgraded MBP's too. Right.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
While an update to Aperture would be great I am just interested in Apple providing the means to convert my NEFs for my D3 and D300 -- and that is actually done in the overall OS rather than in iPhoto or Aperture themselves. Next software update for Leopard should be coming along soon, eh?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm desperately awaiting Aperture 2.0! :D

Why, I'd prefer they only change the number to the right of the decimal point. Typically those upgrades are free while you have to pay to numbers on the left.

Apple can put whatever new features they have into Aperture and they can decide to update either number.
What features to go in and what number to nrement are independent decisions.

I think the decision of which number to increment is a business decision not a technical one. I think right now Apple is seeing some competition and would not ask for money right now. I'm betting on a point upgrade because of Apple's concern not to push customers over to Lightroom.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
While an update to Aperture would be great I am just interested in Apple providing the means to convert my NEFs for my D3 and D300 -- and that is actually done in the overall OS rather than in iPhoto or Aperture themselves. Next software update for Leopard should be coming along soon, eh?

Here's a quote from Apple's Joe Schorr:

"As I'm sure many of you know, it's not Apple's policy to provide a public "ETA" on future releases, so I can't post anything like a timetable for when support for the newest RAW camera formats will become available.

But I can tell you this. We at Apple are ACUTELY aware of the pressing need to get support for the newest round of camera into your hands as soon as possible. This is a top priority. We have members of our own team using these cameras, so you can imagine how interested we are in seeing this support integrated into the Mac OS and our photo applications!

We fully intent to give our customers what they need in this regard.

Thanks!

Joe Schorr
Sr. Product Line Manager, Photo Applications
Apple"

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Here's a quote from Apple's Joe Schorr:

"As I'm sure many of you know, it's not Apple's policy to provide a public "ETA" on future releases, so I can't post anything like a timetable for when support for the newest RAW camera formats will become available.

But I can tell you this. We at Apple are ACUTELY aware of the pressing need to get support for the newest round of camera into your hands as soon as possible. This is a top priority. We have members of our own team using these cameras, so you can imagine how interested we are in seeing this support integrated into the Mac OS and our photo applications!

We fully intent to give our customers what they need in this regard.

Thanks!

Joe Schorr
Sr. Product Line Manager, Photo Applications
Apple"

Apertureprofessional.com (AUPN) has more on this:

We'd be a bit remiss, as the group representing Aperture photographers if we didn't weigh in on the current round of conversation about raw file support in Aperture 1.5.6. Anyone who has a Nikon D3 or D300 or Canon 1Ds Mark III knows what we're talking about. Many photographers are miffed at Apple's silent treatment about raw support in the program.

Here are our thoughts: first of all, we've seen a lot of "Apple's not listening" comment. As someone who has worked with Apple for more than twenty years, I am keenly aware that Apple listens to everything. If you think the comments aren't getting heard, they are.

In fact, we talked to Apple yesterday (1/22/08) about this, and about the threads on the blogs, and we've just gotten this official reaction from Joe Schorr at Apple, and were asked to pass it along.

Read the rest at: http://www.apertureprofessional.com/showthread.php?t=10911

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
That's all fine but listening isn't solving the problem. Just release the necessary update already.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Apple might have been timing it to the release of the new Canon/Nikon consumer cameras (I just posted three new Canon threads).

It would be hard to release support for a new XSi camera if it didn't exist until today.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
If this site is to be trusted it looks like the 10.5.2 update adds D3 & D300 RAW support to the OS:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2008-01-24/#7656

- The latest OSX 10.5.2 update seed brings RAW support for Nikon's D300 and D3 - moose - 10:50:09

This is big news for all the Nikon lovers out there: we got conformation that the latest OSX 10.5.2 update build seeded to developers brings RAW support for RAW pictures taken by Nikon's D300 and D3 cameras.
We know that some people have jumped on these cameras, especially the D300, as soon as they were out, only to get stuck when they were using Aperture: the software wouldn't display their images (although it would import them). And since RAW support is a system-wide feature, it means that 10.5.2 will bring support for D3 and D300 RAW files in Aperture, iPhoto, the Finder and all the other apps that use Apple's graphic libraries for displaying RAW files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.