Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArkieBiker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Arkansas
I know this is a year where there will be no innovative changes to the phone, however usually there are slight improvements to the rear camera, but I haven't heard much this year at all...surely they will try and improve low light and/or noise?

Are they actually using the same exact camera as last year for the rear facing camera?

AKS3003

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
There might be big changes to the camera. Most important of them being a larger sensor. Apple hasn't increased the size of the sensor on iPhone's main camera since the 6S. They claimed that they were using a larger sensor with the iPhone 8, but it's not true. The 8(8+ & X) all have the same sensor size as the 6S. There were even rumours claiming that 2018 iPhones will have larger sensors. So I'm expecting a larger sensor with maybe better optics, Especially now that Apple is no longer king in the mobile photography department. Google's pixel phones have a terrific camera, and no matter what DxOMark says, the difference in image quality is a lot more than just a few points

Reactions: ArkieBiker

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I’m sure they’ll have improvements in the hardware and software for the camera in the next X’s (not sure that is the correct plural form). What I’m really hoping is they either move the flash or correct the red eye effect that happens with the current setup

Reactions: Lyn2012

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I know this is a year where there will be no innovative changes to the phone, however usually there are slight improvements to the rear camera, but I haven't heard much this year at all...surely they will try and improve low light and/or noise?

Are they actually using the same exact camera as last year for the rear facing camera?

I don’t think they will be very much hardware changes to the Camera this year, as 2019 is expected introduce the triple lens camera. But I’m sure there will be some improvements that they will discuss upon in the Keynote.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/05/2019-iphone-rear-3d-sensing-rumors/amp/

Last edited:

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Has Apple ever released an iPhone that didn’t upgrade the camera in some way over the predecessor?

It’d also look pretty bad to have the exact same camera for 2 whole years and lose its edge over the competition.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Has Apple ever released an iPhone that didn’t upgrade the camera in some way over the predecessor?

It’d also look pretty bad to have the exact same camera for 2 whole years and lose its edge over the competition.

Good point. Apple usually makes refinements in some way or another when it comes to the iPhone camera, because if they didn’t, then it would be less of a reason for those who want to upgrade, as the camera is likely the one most popular features on an iPhone.

Reactions: nviz22

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Maybe ultra slow motioni in 4k. Face and object focus tracking. Bigger sensor. Better glass. Flush. Improved HDR. Improved masking in portrait mode. Decrease water color effect.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Good point. Apple usually makes refinements in some way or another when it comes to the iPhone camera, because if they didn’t, then it would be less of a reason for those who want to upgrade, as the camera is likely the one most popular features on an iPhone.

I am expecting changes in slow motion in terms of higher FPS. I would like to get a higher optical zoom with a dual camera sensor if I go XS.

vngannxx

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2009
4K live photos using the HEVC compression. Using 4K live photos will allow for 8mp key photos and live effects. It would be similar to 4K photo modes on mirrorless cameras.

A 1/2.3 sensor for the wide-angle camera with f1.7 aperture.
A 1/3 sensor for the telephoto camera with f2.0 aperture.

partyboy4357

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2017

The phone has yet to be released...how can anyone answer that?

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Of course they will. Through software and processor improvements if not through the camera itself. Every camera in every new iPhone is better than the last.

So far as "no innovative changes" -- it's like Apple got ahead of themselves in terms of innovation. iPhone 8 might as well have been iPhone 7s, while iPhone X is an innovation ahead in numerous ways.

Techman82

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2016
Nearly all decent phones have a 1/2 sensor, it's really about time the iPhone got a 1/2 sensor and better low light capabilities, the 1/3 sensor has been used for long enough now with Apple trying to make it better with software, greed!

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Safe bet both the rear (and front) cameras will benefit from hardware and software changes for the XS.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Apple really needs to sell the Xs somehow and I can imagine that a better camera should be the way to go, especially since I can't imagine what else they can improve besides making a plus model.

I really hope they dethrone Huawei's P20 Pro somehow.

AKS3003

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
4K live photos using the HEVC compression. Using 4K live photos will allow for 8mp key photos and live effects. It would be similar to 4K photo modes on mirrorless cameras.

A 1/2.3 sensor for the wide-angle camera with f1.7 aperture.
A 1/3 sensor for the telephoto camera with f2.0 aperture.

I don't think apple would provide such a big upgrade to the camera in a single generation of the iPhone. Though they can, but I don't expect them to, because they like to milk out the existing hardware to the max. If they provide such a leap in camera, they would have nothing left for next year. Though, I really wish that what you say comes to be true. Its been a long time since the iPhone blew the competition out of the water

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
Interesting that I read the title to the thread to read as if there would be any differences in the camera between the XS and XS+.. akin to how we have the dual lens on the current plus models over the standard camera on the non plus ones.

Feels like the only difference between the XS and its larger sibling will be the screen real estate gain and larger battery.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Interesting that I read the title to the thread to read as if there would be any differences in the camera between the XS and XS+.. akin to how we have the dual lens on the current plus models over the standard camera on the non plus ones.

Feels like the only difference between the XS and its larger sibling will be the screen real estate gain and larger battery.

Agreed unless there is a surprise next week, Can see it already Next year's iPhone 6.5" 3 camera's, 5.8" updated 2 camera's and 6.1" 1 camera..... 3-2-1

Reactions: Jinjin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.