Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AfternoonDelete

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
I know that it's sort of midway through the buying cycle for the 2nd generation MacBook. I am tempted to think about buying a 13" MBP because the Touch Bar seems great, but I'd really prefer the MacBook, given that I own an outdated 11" MacBook Air (terrible battery life, 2011 model) and love the smaller size and light weight. I am always taking the Air with me; I do mostly word processing and rarely use apps that are CPU-demanding, so I doubt I would care much if the main bump up next year for the MacBook is stuff like faster chips. What might induce me to wait till 2017 for a 3rd generation MacBook, rather than buy one now, is the chance that a Touch Bar could debut on the next MacBook, but it seems like space logistics and battery drain, etc., might make that impossible. I just thought I would ask this community what they think. Thanks in advance for any replies!

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have my doubts that it will be included on the 3rd generation rMB, but if it is it will probably be a pricey option rather than standard. The next update will probably be limited to a processor update to Kaby Lake, maybe an update to the keyboard to match the 2ng gen butterfly mechanism in the new MBPs.

Reactions: AfternoonDelete

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Could they physically engineer it to fit in to the body of a Macbook? I have my doubts given just how slim the Macbook is now.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Expect the 3rd generation rMB to be another press-release launch with updated CPU and GPU, 2nd gen butterfly keyboard, a more efficient,wide gamut screen and (hopefully) a price cut for at least $200.

I'm not expecting the real changes until CannonLake when hopefully the built-in TB3 support will mean we get USB3.1 gen 2 and TB3 support across 2 ports (like the non-touchbar Pro has) along with a redesign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.