Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
My wife is a photographer who currently uses some version of photoshop for windows. I just bought her a new 2.8 24" mac and need to get a new version of photoshop. From what I'm seeing the going price seems to be around $649.00 and one place on next tag claiming $466.00. Are there any deals out there for cs3 or do I just need to pony up? Thanks in advance.

trig

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
If you are a student or work on University try to look at edu discount or some universities bookstores have even more discounted photoshop than official edu price. I bought my CS3 for 199$ through Washington Univ in St.Louis

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If she is a professional photographer, Aperture might be more suited to her needs as well. It's a Mac-only piece of software and there's a 30 day free trial.

trig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I have aperture installed already but she still want's photshop. She is very proficient in photoshop and doesn't want to switch cold turkey so to speak which means I had to buy both to see if she wants to transition into aperture.
thanks
trig

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Too bad, I just sold the entire CS3 Web Premium edition. I sold it for $750 but since I don't have enough posts here I couldn't sell it on this site.

The software retails for $1599.99 so I sold it for less than half.

Do you know anyone who either attends or works for a college? If so you can get it dirt cheap through a volume license.

SLC

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Some people have claimed Adobe has let them upgrade crossing platforms; I would contact Adobe directly before buying the upgrade version though. She'd have to have Photoshop 7, CS, or CS2 to be eligible (assuming they allow it).

It's also quite possible that Photoshop Elements will do everything your wife wants, and for a much lower price. Since she's switching to Mac, I'd strongly suggest waiting until the next version is out (supposed to be early 2008) - the Mac version currently lags significantly behind the Windows version.

Edit: The upgrade eligibility page I linked to, above, explicitly states that it has to be the same platform. So I guess the folks that've claimed cross-platform upgrade eligibility are blowing smoke. So check out Elements!

trig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I found a website bkstr.com or something like that where you pick your country, state and school. CS3 is $299 and when you checkout you don't have to be a student. If you're a parent of a k-12 student you qualify.

trig2275

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Do you know anyone who either attends or works for a college? If so you can get it dirt cheap through a volume license.

If it is truly on a volume (site) license then the license is the college's and the use of the software is restricted to people who are currently attending that college. They are not eligible for resale or giving to anyone else. You are not purchasing a license of your own.

If it is a single user academic license, the owner must be a student or faculty, and that obligation transfers with the software, so again it would not be eligible for resale to a non-student.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Are there any deals out there for cs3 or do I just need to pony up? Thanks in advance.

Adobe will let you move the license from Windows to the Mac for free or nearly free. But that is "move" as in delete from the Windows machine.

You can get a "deal" as a student. Take a class at a local comminity collage and you quality.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Some people have claimed Adobe has let them upgrade crossing platforms; I would contact Adobe directly before buying the upgrade version though. She'd have to have Photoshop 7, CS, or CS2 to be eligible (assuming they allow it).

It's also quite possible that Photoshop Elements will do everything your wife wants, and for a much lower price. Since she's switching to Mac, I'd strongly suggest waiting until the next version is out (supposed to be early 2008) - the Mac version currently lags significantly behind the Windows version.

Edit: The upgrade eligibility page I linked to, above, explicitly states that it has to be the same platform. So I guess the folks that've claimed cross-platform upgrade eligibility are blowing smoke. So check out Elements!

But couldn't you upgrade to CS3 on PC and _then_ crossgrade?

trig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
anyone want to checkout http://www.bkstr.com and see if I'm missing something. You have to go through the checkout process for eligibility. The part I can't figure out is why you have to select a university if you qualify as the parent of a k-12 student? I just don't want to buy something and have some sort of user restrictions. I would just rather pay more and know I got what I thought I was buying.

Thanks
trig

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.