Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
so im looking at sd cards to buy... and im looking at sdhc card in 4 and 8 gigs.... but my question is that is there any benifit or drawback to getting a micro card vs a regular sd card..

both of the cards would be class 6 cards... but is there any other difference besides size, and the need for an adapter to put it into my XS?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
An SD card appears to be capable of greater theoretical speeds, and I would think that the need for an adapter increases the possibility of losing or damaging it and being completely without memory until the adapter is replaced. Other than that, I'm not seeing much. They're both SD, just different physical media formats.

Why do you want to use a micro SD card instead of a regular SD card?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Let's say you need memory. Would you remove the card from your phone, stick it in your camera, and format the card? How about the reverse, kissing any images on the card goodbye. That's the practical implication of being consistent.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Let's say you need memory. Would you remove the card from your phone, stick it in your camera, and format the card? How about the reverse, kissing any images on the card goodbye. That's the practical implication of being consistent.

I use microSD cards in a bunch of devices with SD adapters (or not, as required) and there's no need to format them between devices. Almost everything uses FAT32 formatting for flash memory devices (I can't think of a single device I've ever seen that takes a flash card that doesn't) and most will just create a directory structure the way it wants to and ignore whatever data is already there.

You're making a much bigger deal about sharing a card between devices than it actually is.

spacemanps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
yeah i tried to take the one from my phone and used it in my P&S and my slr and worked fine... hum... i think ill just order watever class 6 card is cheaper..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.