Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
If Aperture does not come up with an update soon, I might as well get CS3 and Lightroom.:eek:

Our College has it for quite a bit less than the Apple store or where ever, but can it be updated? Or does it put a Education watermark on everything??

Thanks

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
I don't believe there is any difference. I think the license requires you to not use it for commercial use, but the programs are full featured I believe.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
In terms of Apple's own software, such as Aperture, OS X, iWork, etc. there's no difference between the education discounted version and the full retail version. Software from other manufacturers is sometimes a different story. For them the "education version" might mean an inexpensive but limited feature version, and for others it might mean the full feature version but doesn't count towards any future upgrade priced version.

For instance, if you buy a music sequencer at version 3.0 from a retail store for $400, then when version 4.0 comes out you're offered a special upgrade price of $100 to go from version 3 up to version 4 rather than having to spend $400 again just to get version 4.

So it all depends on the manufacturer. Before purchasing do your homework on what the "education" moniker means to that specific manufacturer.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
There is no difference between the versions.

The only thing is that there is no upgrade option... so when Aperture 2 comes out, you won't get the upgrade price, though this may be higher than buying the education version anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.