Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angrist

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
MI or NJ
Has anyone used a Canon SD450? If so .... what were your impressions / thoughts?

I'm currently looking to get a small point and shoot camera without spending $500+. Right now my frontrunner is the SD450 with a second battery and gig memory card. My major requirements that the camera be:

Small and light - has to fit in a pocket while I'm carrying other gear
Easy to use - I want to be able to whip it out and take a snapshot at will
Reliable - same as above
Robust - needs to live in my jacket breast pocket happily

I've been pretty impressed with Canon's offerings, my brother and father both have Canon ... A520's IIRC. Both of them are very happy with the Canon software / interface / etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

jeshepard

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
I have a 500 and I really like it. Its held up well (besides some scratches). The time from turn on to taking a picture is really fast. Also the constant shooting is a really nice feature.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Angrist said:
Has anyone used a Canon SD450?

The Camera is really awesome, as all Canons are.

The software blows, as all camera software does. It's generally best not to install any software that any camera comes with on a Mac, and just use iPhoto which integrates with everything perfectly, and Photoshop for real editing tasks. I don't even understand why camera companies continue to insist on bundling crappy photo management software for the Mac.

Don't even install the drivers... you don't need those either.

My friend recently had a problem with desktop pictures from his camera looking very strange. I spent about an hour trying to figure out what he had done to his color calibration, as I thought it was a display color problem. After much toiling, we figured out it was because he had installed Nikon's photo management software instead of just using iPhoto like you're supposed to. All the pics are pretty much a total loss. They were displaying improperly, but the computer was perfectly calibrated. iPhoto pics displayed perfectly fine.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
awesome little camera....bought it as a pocketable alternative to my DSLR.

Sometime I dont want to lug around the DSLR. The SD450 takes great pictures, my only compaint is the lack of a battery meter. You have no idea how much juice your battery has until its about to die and then you get an icon flashing on the screen and about 2 more minutes of camera time.

Other than that its great!

STIG

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2005
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Hi,

Haven't used the SD450, but have used the previous model and it was pretty good.

However this all changed when I bought a Casio Exilim Z750. Better than the Canon in every way, with good controls and a fantastic video mode. Oh, and it takes great pictures also. They have updated that to the Z850, but the movie mode is not as good, or consider the S600. And yes, I was surprised at choosing a Casio - I thought they only made calculators!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^What most people don't realize is that Canon isn't the only dealer out there that makes good products. ;)

I have an SD300 (4 MP), but if I were to do it again, I'd get an Olympus....the waterproof model. I want it because it's waterproof and I realized how cool it was when a girl on my trip to Perth had a Pentax waterproof model, and it took excellent photos. All these little cameras do. The Casio Exilim models are good as well, as STIG said., although I don't like certain aspects about the camera controls (they just don't feel very comfortable to me, but maybe I'd learn to like them). In my opinion, there's very little that differentiates these ultraslim cameras in terms of photo quality, so don't worry about that.

If you must know, Olympus makes a waterproof and shockproof camera that'll take a lot of bumps. It'll be below budget as well, I think. Fuji has made some good cameras recently, as has Pentax and Nikon.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
My best friend have SD400 (bought it in the summer a year ago) and I bought SD450 in November (thanksgiving sale day) and we both love it a lot. I use it for iPhoto and Photoshop. I bought 1 GB mem stick for half price (thanksgiving day sale) and maxed everything (resolution, superfine, etc.). Also the built-in camcorder are awesome but haven't used it that much, but it's good though. So far, I like this and is highly reccomend for those of you want one. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.