Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share about this lens. I know it's relatively new, but I figure someone must have it especially since it comes with the D90.

kayes

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
hi,

My D90 arrived yesterday but it rained the whole day and I couldn't go out to get some pics. So I plucked a rose and went into the kitchen and took this. No fancy lighting, I just opened the kitchen window and used the light that came in.

ipodrose.jpg

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
hi,

My D90 arrived yesterday but it rained the whole day and I couldn't go out to get some pics. So I plucked a rose and went into the kitchen and took this. No fancy lighting, I just opened the kitchen window and used the light that came in.

ipodrose.jpg

Wow, an iPod Touch by any other name would be just as sweet!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I didn't even know that lens existed, but it looks like a good buy, espoecially since there should be plenty of them on the used market sooner or later (as it's the D90 kit lens, like you pointed out)... I'll have to keep my eye open for a good deal on one of these. I need something a little longer than the 18-55mm that came with my D40, but I'd like VR and I don't want to drop $600+ on the 18-200. Maybe a cheap 70-300mm and this 18-105 would be a good pairing.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I thought people didn't like it when it was called the iTouch.

People don't because it's not what it's called - so don't worry about it ;)

Looks like a good little lens, glad to see Nikon upped the ante with this as the stock lens for bundles. Not sure if I share your optimism about it eventually becoming a resonably priced lens due to volume mrgreen, the old stock 18-70mm lens still seems to be holding its value well even now.

Still, it seems to be an excellent upgrade to anyone with an older stock lens wanting to upgrade.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
The reason why I'm posting is I have a D90 on the way with one and I'm not sure it's really for me. I may end up putting it on ebay once I get something more suitable for me.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
People don't because it's not what it's called - so don't worry about it ;)

Looks like a good little lens, glad to see Nikon upped the ante with this as the stock lens for bundles. Not sure if I share your optimism about it eventually becoming a resonably priced lens due to volume mrgreen, the old stock 18-70mm lens still seems to be holding its value well even now.

Still, it seems to be an excellent upgrade to anyone with an older stock lens wanting to upgrade.

No, its already selling for $200-$250 new from people breaking up d90 packages and that's super cheap. The 18-70mm still runs $150 or so, but I think that's a good deal as well.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
So I got my D90 yesterday and tested out this lens and I think it will serve me fine for the time being. I may end up selling it though once I get more Nikon lenses in my array. This is my first Nikon.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
No, its already selling for $200-$250 new from people breaking up d90 packages and that's super cheap. The 18-70mm still runs $150 or so, but I think that's a good deal as well.

Ya, I saw that (on Amazon marketplace) after you posted. Once they're about $200 regularly, which should be pretty quick here, it'll be a great value, I think. Nikon's lenses are all GOOD (some are great, some just good) and even though it's a little shorter than the 18-135mm, the VR and the ~$150 price difference will make this my "everyday" lens for sure.

To the OP, if you decide to sell yours, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can find some cash around! :)

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Ya, I saw that (on Amazon marketplace) after you posted. Once they're about $200 regularly, which should be pretty quick here, it'll be a great value, I think. Nikon's lenses are all GOOD (some are great, some just good) and even though it's a little shorter than the 18-135mm, the VR and the ~$150 price difference will make this my "everyday" lens for sure.

To the OP, if you decide to sell yours, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can find some cash around! :)

Definitely will, it will probably be in about a month or two I'd guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.