Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheJayWay

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get into photography a bit more and would like to buy DSLR. I've always used Point and shoots, but have been left wanting more. I don't really have the cash to go out and by some crazy brand new camera but am looking to get one used perhaps. Any suggestions of places (ie: websites) to look at used ones? I've tried my local area on craigslist, and have no patience for things like ebay (plus I've never spent the time to figure it out).

Any help is appreciated.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Depends which brand. Canon, POTN is a great place (photography-on-the.net). Nikon, Nikonians and Nikon Cafe both have Buy and Sell areas.

For both brands, as well as any others, Fred Miranda is good (fremiranda.com).

Also check eBay, KEH.com (great used section and great prices, but its a store and you will generally get better deals from individual people).

The Past

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2004
United States
Depending on the city, Craigslist is a good place to find them. Bigger cities have more options, of course. I see several going all the time. The advantage with this is also that you can try the product when you meet and then pay if you are happy.

There are scams there as well, but nothing which common sense can not catch. Most people are very nice. I have dealt in San Francisco and Chicago in the past and now New York City.

radarscott

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
I picked up a very decent Nikon D80 body from Newegg.com. It was refurbished through Nikon and has a 90 day warranty. The cost was $659. You may want to check there and tigerdirect, buy.com, etc.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I picked up a very decent Nikon D80 body from Newegg.com. It was refurbished through Nikon and has a 90 day warranty. The cost was $659. You may want to check there and tigerdirect, buy.com, etc.

Ehh... Newegg is an unauthorized dealer for Nikon so I would highly recommend you go elsewhere. You can get a refurb or used d80 for much less ($500-$600 range) and thats a safer bet in my opinion. I love newegg for computer parts but they are not a good place to buy camera gear from.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
If I had to buy on the net ( it's not what I do ), I would really give B&H Photo a shot.

I don't see how you can "look" at any camera on the net as most places just publish a list with prices.

Best bet is to pick out the camera you want, and shop for that model.

Select a second camera as a back-up choice. Just don't go and jump on the first 'lowest price ' unit you find. There is probably a good reason it is cheaper.

Also make sure you have a REASONABLE right of return, Thirty Days would be good. Anything less than two weeks would be unacceptable !!!!!

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I found a new in box Lumix L1 kit on Craigslist for less than half the list price.. it was a gift and 'too complicated' for the previous owner. He took my money and got a nice point and shoot. It was worth the three hour round trip to save $1500 and I did get to inspect the merchandise before coughing up the dough. There are a lot of people selling off their older digital SLR bodies to pick up a new model with higher dynamic range and more megapixels. Just keep in mind that all those older cameras were taking killer pictures before the new ones existed and imo 6Mp is plenty! You should get a great deal if you are patient and diligent.;)

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I can vouch for craigslist... bought a few lenses of craigslist... Yes it's always possible that the items you buy from people will break the next day, but at least you get to see the actual item in person and test it out before you hand over any money.

OscarTheGrouch

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2007
G' Vegas South Carolina
Most NYC-based camera shops are ripoff joints, but Adorama is one of the few online retailers that has a high trust level, and they sell a good amount of used gear. Pretty sure B&H falls into the "good guy" category as well.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=category&cat1=Used

I can personally recommend Cameta, Neptune and B&H in the NY area. I would look on ebay and maybe your local craigslist too.

I have a regular slr to get rid of if anyone wants it lol

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
KEH or fredmiranda

keh.com is a store with a good reputation, and will let you know (conservatively) what condition the equipment is in before you buy.

Fredmiranda.com is a pretty reliable community. Scams there are pretty rare, but if you're buying from an individual, it's always going to be a risk you take.

You might also consider buying a new camera, but a lower-end model. You can get a brand new body these days for about $500, and they all take pretty nice pictures in the hands of a skilled user.

Andrew

TheJayWay

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for all the recommends guys, seeing as few of those places come up in multiple posts I'll probably go with one of those. Thankfully I won't get raped on the exchange rate if I do buy from an American retailer. Too bad there isn't a place like those in Canada. Oh well, Thanks guys!

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Thanks for all the recommends guys, seeing as few of those places come up in multiple posts I'll probably go with one of those. Thankfully I won't get raped on the exchange rate if I do buy from an American retailer. Too bad there isn't a place like those in Canada. Oh well, Thanks guys!

As far as I know, Henry's Camera in Canada sells used camera gear at very reasonable prices.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
For my peace of mind I buy from B&H. Adorama is supposed to be a reputable dealer like B&H, but have never had a single problem with B&H, so that's why I buy from them.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
For my peace of mind I buy from B&H. Adorama is supposed to be a reputable dealer like B&H, but have never had a single problem with B&H, so that's why I buy from them.

I mentioned B&H above, but the guy who just bought a Canon 30D from me, liked Craigslist. He got an excellent deal, I make a quick deal we both walked away real happy.

I dealt with B&H when Adorama was 'up and coming' so to speak.

While B&H was a dealer for many brands, Adorama was 'that place' you went to for those little oddities like that mirror you attached to the end of your lens to " shoot around corners ". But it seems by their advertising they have grown quite well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.