Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have an issue with your pad’s battery life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SportsPhan8

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Mine, I’m sure like many others does, drains so fast, it’s ridiculous — and has been doing so for several months now.

It seems worse recently. It’s inconsistent, too. It’ll go from 20% to 21%, back to 20%, etc.

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and experiences. I realize with updates, it can take time to sort out the kinks. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I have been using my iPad all day for browsing, note taking, WebEx meetings, you name it, took off charger at 7am it is now 8:50pm and I have 78% battery left ... when I travel, I can go from Memphis to Japan and still have battery left, watching 1-2 movies along with more than a day of browsing etc ... so I’m thinking your iPad has an issue ... oh and I run iOS beta software ...

SportsPhan8

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Any ideas on how I can solve and resolve the problem?
[doublepost=1527835200][/doublepost]For the people without any issues, I’m guessing you all are running iOS 11? I’m at iOS 11.4

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
10.5 pro and 9.7 pro no issues.

batteries last ages even playing angry birds 2 on my 10.5 pro

both on 11.3 not done the last update yet.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
On my 2-year old Pro 9.7 (still on iOS 10), battery has deteriorated. I know it's not as accurate as Coconut but per Battery Life app, it's down to 88% (6400/7306 mAh).

Granted, in terms of battery life the Pro 9.7 still lasts longer than a brand new iPhone. It's just disappointing compared to the iPad 3 and 4, though (especially the 4). The iPad 3 that we couldn't wait to get rid of had better battery life than my Pro 9.7 back when the Pro was brand new.

Mind, the 2017 and 2018 "basic" iPads give the iPad 4 a run for its money.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Two iPad Air 2, battery life on both acceptable until IOS 11.4 update. Now lucky to get 4 hours of normal use before dead. Looked at settings. Nothing appears to have changed other than the IOS 11.4. Anyone else seeing a negative change in iPad Air 2 battery life?

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Two iPad 2, battery life on both acceptable until IOS 11.4 update. Now lucky to get 4 hours of normal use before dead. Looked at settings. Nothing appears to have changed other than the IOS 11.4. Anyone else seeing a negative change in iPad 2 battery life?
Do you mean the Air 2? Iirc, Apple dropped updates for the iPad 2 after iOS 9.3.5.

Reactions: gobikerider

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
Got my iPad Pro 10.5” replaced due to a screen problem. It was at 82% when I sent it in, now I’m back 100% (they replaced it). I had them check the battery life as well and they said it was fine, but it felt off anyways. So I’m glad they gave me a replacement. Dunno if it’s actually any better in real world use though, we’ll see.

Mine, I’m sure like many others does, drains so fast, it’s ridiculous — and has been doing so for several months now.

It seems worse recently. It’s inconsistent, too. It’ll go from 20% to 21%, back to 20%, etc.

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and experiences. I realize with updates, it can take time to sort out the kinks. I hope this gets resolved soon.
Try an iCloud backup and restore. Sometimes that can fix a lot of stuff that even an iTunes backup and restore doesn’t fix. Mainly due to that iTunes keeps a lot of useless files that iCloud doesn’t keep. You’ll keep all the stuff you care about.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
My iPad Pro 10.5 and Air 2 seem like the battery life is not lasting near as long as they used too. Not sure what is going.

Nobbynobbs

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2018
Ankh Morpork
Mine drains while not in use, with the SmartCover closed.

I updated my iPad to 11.4 OTA and noticed some battery drain overnight (7%, whereas I normally get 1%); Safari had kept my 10.5 Pro awake for 12 hours....

I decided to do a DFU install and have had no issues since.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I’ve never noticed any battery issues with any of my iPads. Even the old iPad 3 that I owned lasted the 10 hours as advertised. Although my old 3 would heat up while charging and would drain under load even while on the charger. That’s the only battery “issue” I’ve ever noticed with an iPad.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My iPad Pro 10.5 and Air 2 seem like the battery life is not lasting near as long as they used too. Not sure what is going.
The battery is considered consumable. If you use the iPad a lot (ergo using up full charge cycles quickly), it's normal that it isn't lasting as long as it did back when it was new.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Granted, in terms of battery life the Pro 9.7 still lasts longer than a brand new iPhone. It's just disappointing compared to the iPad 3 and 4, though (especially the 4). The iPad 3 that we couldn't wait to get rid of had better battery life than my Pro 9.7 back when the Pro was brand new.

Agreed - iPad battery life went backwards with the Air 1 and worse with the Air 2.

My sister has an iPad 4, and gets RIDICULOUS usage times out of it, 20 Hours or more. I used to get 15 or so out of my iPad 2. My Pro 10.5 is lucky to get 6.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Agreed - iPad battery life went backwards with the Air 1 and worse with the Air 2.

My sister has an iPad 4, and gets RIDICULOUS usage times out of it, 20 Hours or more. I used to get 15 or so out of my iPad 2. My Pro 10.5 is lucky to get 6.

Battery life will vary depending on the types of applications you are using. iPad Pro is a supercomputer capable of running some of the most powerful and advanced applications in the world. When you are running sophisticated apps, they will reduce the runtime your iPad battery can manage.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007

I suspect it is related to the apps you have installed. For example, when I install and use the YouTube app, my battery seems to drain insanely fast. If I uninstall the app and simply use the YouTube website, battery usage is normal.

Facebook is another known battery killer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.