Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splendidham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
So I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro 15inch. It's been chugging along fine. A little slower than it used to be but not awful. Anyway, I opened it up the other day and saw this. Been trying to troubleshoot it but nothing seems to work. Any ideas what the problem might be? Very saddened by this turn of events. I love this Mac
7c714b6a9493e7c27c7e42965a51392c.jpg

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
So I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro 15inch. It's been chugging along fine. A little slower than it used to be but not awful. Anyway, I opened it up the other day and saw this. Been trying to troubleshoot it but nothing seems to work. Any ideas what the problem might be? Very saddened by this turn of events. I love this Mac
7c714b6a9493e7c27c7e42965a51392c.jpg
Bad display or bad GPU. Can you use the computer if you plug in an external display?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My vote is the GPU and not the screen. I think its time to consider replacing the computer. I don't think the 2008 model is within the logic board replacement program anyways.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
If the screen output changes while you move the display portion open and close, then it could be the cable that connects the display to the logic board. An easy test that costs nothing but the 10 seconds or so of time. They have been known to fracture in some cases through repeated movement over a long period of time.

If there's no diff, then it's the GPU. The repair program for the 2008's I "think" was for the 2007/early-2008 models with the dGPU, and that program expired back in December 2012, if I remember right. Current repair/replace programs don't involve the late-2008 units. So, yeah, time for a new one.

Look on the bright side: There have been significant performance and power efficiency improvements, even in CPU, since 2008. Faster. Better battery life. Repair-ability comparatively sucks, but not much you can do about that.

Last edited:

splendidham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I'm not sure what it was but I happened to turn it on this morning and after some initial weirdness, the screen started functioning. Did however hang for quite a bit so had to reboot again. I'll be sad when it inevitably breaks down again though. Looks like a new Mac outwardly.

In regards to the repair program, yeah that was for earlier macs. In any case, I'll be buying a new Mac . But I might be able to hang on a little longer for the new ones now I suppose since my 2008 is functioning.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.