Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chubby Cox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2004
Currently at the Hirshhorn in Washington, DC, there's an exhibition of the work of Wolfgang Tillmans. There's a very large variety of images present, but there were a few that particularly caught my interest because of some sort of visual effect in them. My guess is that it involves a delayed flash and long exposure, but I was wondering what you guys think. Here are a few examples:

46a271bd.jpg

wolfgang-tillmans-Freischwimmer40.jpg

wolfgang-tillmans-Freischwimmer30.jpg

Let me know what you think...

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
Honestly, why is this guys work on exhibit? It's not horrible, per se, but there are some photographers here on MR who consistently post better images, that tell a story. Most of the images you've shown us from this person's portfolio are abstrat and while pretty, just don't tell a story like a picture. They aren't pictures so much as they are images, and to be honest I'd rather pay money for a picture. :) Moreover, the two pictures you've shown us of his aren't inspiring in the least. Not horrible, but goodness, if I paid money to see that, I'd go ahead and shoot myself in the other foot while Iw as at it!

OTOH, there are people on MR who I would gladly pay money to in order to walk through an exhibit of their work in large scale on paper.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Honestly, why is this guys work on exhibit? It's not horrible, per se, but there are some photographers here on MR who consistently post better images, that tell a story. Most of the images you've shown us from this person's portfolio are abstrat and while pretty, just don't tell a story like a picture. They aren't pictures so much as they are images, and to be honest I'd rather pay money for a picture. :) Moreover, the two pictures you've shown us of his aren't inspiring in the least. Not horrible, but goodness, if I paid money to see that, I'd go ahead and shoot myself in the other foot while Iw as at it!

OTOH, there are people on MR who I would gladly pay money to in order to walk through an exhibit of their work in large scale on paper.

I think that's pretty crude of you. I find the work interesting.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I think that's pretty crude of you. I find the work interesting.

Agreed.

Here's a shot that a friend and I collaborated on, that has a similar look:

ink.jpg

We placed a giant tub of water on the ground, and stared dropping powder based dyes into the water. We shot handheld, slow shutter speeds.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.

looks ugly thats what it looks like.

This is called art.

I'll quote one of my favorite Latin proverbs: "De gustibus non est disputandum," which means, "Concerning taste, there is no argument."

This guy's work isn't exactly up my alley, but heck, I respect it and appreciate it as a statement.

To the OP, this sort of looks like either smoke photography or camera tossing. I'm not sure...

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Those top ones look like the shower drain after my wife and daughters have been in there.

Create a random effect, take a picture, put it in a gallery. Voila! Modern art...

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
I see your point that sometimes modern art is a joke but in this case i feel the artist has his own style and if not to your taste you should still respect it.

I could easily imagine the abstracts being used to sell as canvas prints for home decoration, places like argos sell millions of similar items.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
by 'your case'?

you must only be referring to the fact its not to your liking or your taste in art?
Of course. I can't pretend to be speaking for anyone else. In this context, what I'm actually saying is that to me art is something that reflects an ability to create a desired image - not just playing with something until it looks good, which this kind of random work seems to be. Again, it's only my opinion.

superted666

Oct 17, 2005
Of course. I can't pretend to be speaking for anyone else. In this context, what I'm actually saying is that to me art is something that reflects an ability to create a desired image - not just playing with something until it looks good, which this kind of random work seems to be. Again, it's only my opinion.

Fair enough!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.