Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferchu in mex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
mex-usa border
Hllo People... I want to get myself a new camera.. I currently own a Rebel XT, but for some reason.. the foucs is acting a bit weird.. my pictures dont quite look as sharp as before.. so I was thinking on getting the XTi.. ( some of my work gets to be printed very big.. more than 20 x 24 ) but I dont want to get it.. and then.. a month later learn that a new model just came out.. everytime that I can.. I try to buy the product the first week on the market.. ( rebel XT / iPhone ) bought those the first day! .. so do someone can speculate / guess or whatever it is about when a the new model is coming out!

Thanks!

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Canon's track record with the digital rebel line is more or less a new model every 18 months, so that would mean early 2008. If you think you can afford a D30 once it's discounted after the D40 comes out, that's rumored to be happening sooner. But that may still take months (or longer, who knows).

If you think you can hold out with your current camera or some other stop-gap, wait. If not, I doubt that any of the improvements will be earth-shattering.

Or you could also just try to get your XT repaired. It's hardly an out of date camera. I'd at least look into that, because why pay $650 for a minor upgrade when you could pay $100 for repair and put the rest to a nice lens?

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Canon's track record with the digital rebel line is more or less a new model every 18 months, so that would mean early 2008. If you think you can afford a D30 once it's discounted after the D40 comes out, that's rumored to be happening sooner. But that may still take months (or longer, who knows).

If you think you can hold out with your current camera or some other stop-gap, wait. If not, I doubt that any of the improvements will be earth-shattering.

Or you could also just try to get your XT repaired. It's hardly an out of date camera. I'd at least look into that, because why pay $650 for a minor upgrade when you could pay $100 for repair and put the rest to a nice lens?

I think you mean 30D and 40D... let's try to not get people confused between Nikon and Canon ;)

But I agree... get the XT repaired, rather than buying an XTi. Also, if you really want to upgrade, do a little better than a focus tweak, menu tweak and an extra 2 megapixels. Go for the 30D, or maybe even a 5D.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I think you mean 30D and 40D... let's try to not get people confused between Nikon and Canon ;)

But I agree... get the XT repaired, rather than buying an XTi. Also, if you really want to upgrade, do a little better than a focus tweak, menu tweak and an extra 2 megapixels. Go for the 30D, or maybe even a 5D.

Oops. Yes. 30D and 40D. You really have to appreciate the few companies that resist the D for digital naming schemes. So easy to switch around!

Funny also that Nikon and Canon's naming schemes are reversed in the for Canons, the fewer digits the better (400D, 30D, 5D, 1D) and for Nikons it confusingly switches around (D40, D80, D200, D2). Anyway.

Also, if there's a focusing problem, consider that it might be the lens that's screwy.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
… or an `antiquated' Canon dslr (pretty much the first `affordable' dslr), a distant predecessor of the 30D :D
Oops. Yes. 30D and 40D. You really have to appreciate the few companies that resist the D for digital naming schemes. So easy to switch around!
Canon also used `Nikon's' naming scheme for the D30 and the D60.

I agree with the others: if you want to buy an XTi now, do it. However, the problem you describe can be fixed easily: in the best case, the focus sensors have to be cleaned, it doesn't sound to me as if your camera is `broken'. It just needs maintenance.

ferchu in mex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
mex-usa border
Thanks a lot for the replies.. I gues I will be taking my XT to the shop.. and probably wait a bit for a new release.. necause I need a backup anyways!

from the M E X!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.