Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinchohs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Uruguay
I was wondering if anyone have any information about an Aperture refresh. It's coming this time in the refresh cycle where I begin to wonder Apple's commitment to this application. Given how much I have vested on it (not only I am a certified trainer, but I also use it for all my photography archive). In any case, if there is anything you know that you can share, it would be appreciated it. If you know and cannot share, it would be good to know if Apple is still planning a serious refresh.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I am also interested to hear. I use ALR now but may switch to Aperture. I am near the end of the trial period but don't want to buy it only to see it upgraded a month later.

I am hoping they upgrade it for Snow Leopard to take advantage of GPU processing. I do (amateur) motorsports photography and one of the biggest bottlenecks for me is getting 1:1 pixel previews for culling (about 4K photos for an event). I just got a new 3.06 GHz MBP 15, so I'd like to see Aperture take advantage of it under Snow Leopard.

Part of me wonders if the next Aperture will be Snow Leopard only and it will get announced when Snow Leopard ships.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
According to the rumors, Aperture 3.0 was originally slated to ship by end of the summer. It is supposed to add full geocode support, and expected to receive face recognition tagging from iPhoto '09. Beyond that, little else is known.

Here's my wishlist though:
  • Compressive lens correction (similar to Lightroom), such as CA, vignetting
  • Full IPCT and XMP support. Browse by lens type.
  • Better noise reduction.
  • Faster, it's still dog slow in many cases.
  • Support for sRAW and latest RAW formats, ideally without requiring OS patch release.
  • HDR.
  • More customizable UI and views.
  • Something better than patch and clone.
  • Better plug-in architecture with native API.

LocalMotion

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
Kailua
I switched to Lightroom from Aperture, but Apple can have me switch back with just 1 improvement.

Add Custom Presets, and let us apply custom presets to images upon import.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
I'm not sure if this is significant, but I have noticed that Aperture 2's prices have been dropping at the some of the third party retailers (Amazon, B&H) to the point where it's 25% cheaper than the Apple Store's retail price. Since Apple doesn't have the same type of inventory controls that a 3rd party does (and nor would they expose a refresh by blatantly announcing a "sale" - God forbid!), perhaps something is in the works!

Tinchohs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Uruguay
According to the rumors, Aperture 3.0 was originally slated to ship by end of the summer. It is supposed to add full geocode support, and expected to receive face recognition tagging from iPhoto '09. Beyond that, little else is known.

Here's my wishlist though:
  • Compressive lens correction (similar to Lightroom), such as CA, vignetting
  • Full IPCT and XMP support. Browse by lens type.
  • Better noise reduction.
  • Faster, it's still dog slow in many cases.
  • Support for sRAW and latest RAW formats, ideally without requiring OS patch release.
  • HDR.
  • More customizable UI and views.
  • Something better than patch and clone.
  • Better plug-in architecture with native API.

I hope they do more than just Faces and Geotagging. To me a better plug-in architecture it's close to a must. We'll see...

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
My school has aperture 2.0 for 69 bucks. Should I wait or go for it?
You can get a 30-day trial from Apple. Go to their Aperture web page. I'm on my second trial, but if Aperture 3 isn't released by end of September I'll go ahead and but a copy of v2 (I can also get it for $69).

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
I would like pin point color correction, not just global. Layers and curves would be nice, too. Overall, I have been happy with Aperture and a few plug-ins. We always want more. :)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I would like pin point color correction, not just global. Layers and curves would be nice, too. Overall, I have been happy with Aperture and a few plug-ins. We always want more.
Yup, I like your suggestions and actually I think Layers could be the answer for the non destructive plugins, partly is cause the way how I see plugins now is that each of them has their own custom interface like Noise Ninja, and some even more complicated ones like Nik which will be a major PITA to get it to be one unified look. So what I thought could be is actually, the plugins will work and has the same interface as they are now except, instead of duplicating the image, this time it just appears as another layer which can be turned off or deleted (something like Photoshop layer) and besides layer will be able to solve lots of problems and of course expand the powers of Aperture :)

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
You can get a 30-day trial from Apple. Go to their Aperture web page. I'm on my second trial, but if Aperture 3 isn't released by end of September I'll go ahead and but a copy of v2 (I can also get it for $69).

Oh yea, How are you on your second trial? i thought it was limited to one?

kjgriffin

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Tucson, AZ

Regardless of when they produce A3, I would wait. When I ordered 1.5 from the online apple store, I was pleased to get the academic price. Although there was *nothing* to indicate this before ordering, the box that came had a discrete little sticker that said that academic packages were not eligible for upgrades. The last thing you want to do is purchase this one now, only to have to repurchase it (hopefully) soon.

When A2 came out, I passed, as they haven't fixed my biggest issues (handling large files) and repurchasing at the academic price would have been more than paying full and upgrading.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Oh yea, How are you on your second trial? i thought it was limited to one?
I used Cleanapp to uninstall it along with all prefs and Application Support files, and then I reinstalled it. It made me create a new library, which I did, but then I quit and deleted it. Next time I ran it asked for my library and I pointed it to the old one.

I'm really not trying to get around purchasing it. Affording it is not the issue. I have Lightroom and just need some time to evaluate Aperture, and I want to see if it gets to v3 this month so I don't have to repurchase it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I gave up on Aperture because there seems to a lack of support from apple. They have introduced a number of minor (very minor) updates over the course but nothing substantive. Since LR leap frogged them with version 2, we've seen nothing from apple.

I've since switched to Lightroom because it offers an increase in my efficiency in my workflow and editing capability. I hardly need to go into PS at this point.

Its too bad (for apple), but it seems my story is not a unique on it seems :(

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I hope they make it Snow Leopard only. Take full advantage of Grand Central Dispatch (it's pretty well threaded now, but could be better). Go 64-bit so as it can use all the memory in modern Macs. And gain from the faster method dispatch Cocoa gains in 64-bit mode.

Edit to add: I'd note that I don't have SL yet, I just think this would be the best thing for Aperture.

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
Regardless of when they produce A3, I would wait. When I ordered 1.5 from the online apple store, I was pleased to get the academic price. Although there was *nothing* to indicate this before ordering, the box that came had a discrete little sticker that said that academic packages were not eligible for upgrades. The last thing you want to do is purchase this one now, only to have to repurchase it (hopefully) soon.

When A2 came out, I passed, as they haven't fixed my biggest issues (handling large files) and repurchasing at the academic price would have been more than paying full and upgrading.

Hmm so I guess I should wait. I just started using the trial version.. i suck at editing.. i dont know how.. it turns out uglier than my jpegs.. :confused:

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Regardless of when they produce A3, I would wait. When I ordered 1.5 from the online apple store, I was pleased to get the academic price. Although there was *nothing* to indicate this before ordering, the box that came had a discrete little sticker that said that academic packages were not eligible for upgrades.
Ditto, I was ticked off! I ended up purchasing the normal version to avoid this when version 3 is released, ugh!

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Ditto, I was ticked off! I ended up purchasing the normal version to avoid this when version 3 is released, ugh!
For me purchasing the academic version twice ($138) is still cheaper than purchasing the upgradable version (~$150+), and way cheaper than buying that and upgrading it later (+$99).

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Got a notice from Amazon that Aperture 2's price dropped another $10 (to $139.99). I hope this is inventory control at work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.