Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

V86

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2019
2021 is almost over, but I havn't seen any showcase of homekey being used yet. It should have been released in IOS15?

Is there any look companies that has implemented this yet?
Salto systems haven't. And they have had NFC for android for years now.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’m waiting for this too. My wife just got a 2022 BMW X5 and I gotta say I’ve so fallen in love with the CarKey feature, I’m looking to trade in my car and get back into a Bimmer for this feature alone.

To answer your question, here are two articles for your reading enjoyment:

Reactions: V86

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Salto systems tweeted about implementing it this year. But no update so far.

Their locks already support NFC with Android. Shouldn’t this be easy to implement?

Not necessarily. NFC is one thing, which is what HomeKey uses but also for HomeKey, it has to go through Apple’s certification along with Apple Wallet, Keychain, iCloud, HomeKit, Siri etc…

Plenty of third party manufacturers announced HomeKit in the past and never came to fruition. Ring, ADT Blue and SimpliSafe to name a few off the top of my head. From what I understand, it’s a PITA for the manufacturers to get that Apple certification and being that HomeKey involves a secure door lock and Apple Wallet, it’s probably made worse.

Ever wonder why there are so many more devices available for Google and Alexa? That’s likely the reason. Apple’s strict privacy and security requirements.

Last edited:

JustSomebody12

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2020
I’m waiting for this too. My wife just got a 2022 BMW X5 and I gotta say I’ve so fallen in love with the CarKey feature, I’m looking to trade in my car and get back into a Bimmer for this feature alone.
how do you find yourself with Carkey?

Isn't the NFC range too short?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
how do you find yourself with Carkey?

Isn't the NFC range too short?
Yeah, it doesn’t work like a traditional Key Fob but that wasn’t the intended purpose. I wouldn’t want to unlock my doors from a distance away from my vehicle before I get there anyway lol. It is pretty much what the name of the feature is. A key, but a digital one. Just tap on the door handle with my Apple watch (or iPhone), you see the wallet app pop up on the screen with the BMW digital key (express mode) and that’s it. Gain entry. Same for starting the car. There’s an NFC pad under the center dash stack.

However, I don’t find myself forgetting where I park often but if I do, I already have an AirTag in my car and/or use the parked car feature in Maps. Also, if I really need to find it with lights and horn, the BMW app has that feature built in. Think I’m covered in that regard lol.

Reactions: JustSomebody12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.