Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I have one. I use it as my standard zoom lens. It's OK, much better than the kit lens, but not as good as some of the more expensive competition (especially the 17-55mm f/2.8).

The lens distorts quite a lot at the wide end and is simply not fast enough to use in low light situations where the IS does nothing for you, but for the money it's OK.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
What's next to nothing? Sounds like a good deal. Get it and see how it works for you. If you're getting it at less than it's resale value, you can always sell it later.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
What's next to nothing? Sounds like a good deal. Get it and see how it works for you. If you're getting it at less than it's resale value, you can always sell it later.

I planned on just getting the body only 40D, local camera shop will throw in the 17-85 lens for $75 extra.

Seems like I can't go wrong with that

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
$75 :eek:

That's too cheap to be true!

I give the guy a lot of print business and a lot of referrals.
He's basically doing me a favor. It's all legit from a shop thats been around for 50+ years no crazy internet grey market scams.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I give the guy a lot of print business and a lot of referrals.
He's basically doing me a favor. It's all legit from a shop thats been around for 50+ years no crazy internet grey market scams.

Then go for it. It's a $500 lens so if you don't like it you should easily clear $300 on eBay!

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Then go for it. It's a $500 lens so if you don't like it you should easily clear $300 on eBay!

True I didn't think of reselling. But either way I was hoping to get some hands on reviews. Anyone?? Most of the online reviews I have ready give it pretty good marks, not an L series by any means, by still a decent lens.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
Well even at full price I wouldn't expect exceptional.
Any one else have any real world reviews??

Too much vignetting, too much barrel distortion, and too much chromatic aberration to be taken seriously. On the plus side, the zoom region is just right, and the auto focus is silent and excellent. If you do a lot of indoor shooting, this lens works pretty well; but if you do high-contrast landscapes, like I do, then you'll find that the chromatic aberration is often unworkable in post-processing--especially when you start bumping up saturation and contrast.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
Dude, go for it. For the money, this lens is the bomb. I got one for $350 used on ebay, I don't regret that purchase at all. True, I'm no pro photographer, but the results are good enough for me, and if you're getting it for $75, it's a steal. Besides, this lens is relatively inexpensive in the first place... do you really need a lens that is so expensive that you get protective and paranoid every time you use it and stop having fun with your photography? I think not. Get the lens, seize the day, and above all have fun!

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
After a lot of research and discussion I decided to get the 40D with the 17-85 lens. I am by far at the level of professionalism as most the people who post in the forum. So for me I think it was a good buy.

I havent got to play with either too much, but so far I really like them.

Big step up from my original Digital Rebel and 18-55 kit lens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.