Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
As a new parent, it feels like I’m misplacing my phone all the time. Both of my hands often aren’t free since I’m frequently holding my child. I don’t want to carry my phone in my pocket since it is kinda of bulky and uncomfortable, but I do want my wife to be able to reach me or have the ability to make calls / texts, use Find My, and see my calendar. I’ve been using an Apple Watch with GPS only but now I’m thinking that an Apple Watch with cellular would be pretty convenient. I’m curious, any other parents out there using an Apple Watch with cellular and getting a lot of value out of it?

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of Apple Watch owners are parents. With a baby, especially your first, it’s going to be cumbersome, but remember that you simply need the GPS watch in Wifi/BT range of the iPhone. If you‘re leaving with the baby and you’re genuinely concerned about connectivity then take the phone and leave it in a bag so it’s not taking pocket space or you’re not holding it.

For investment and job security purposes, yes, you 100% need that cellular watch.
As a parent specifically, no. It’s just a phone, you can manage it, seriously.

But if you want it, buy it.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Can't speak to the parent aspect of a cellular watch (my kids are grown and out of the house), but I find having cellular connectivity on the watch convenient should I forget my phone behind (which TBH doesn't happen any more since my phone is also my car key) or I just want to go on a walk with my wife or the dogs or something like that. A spontaneous walk outside while at work on a nice day and it's convenient not to have to grab my phone every single time.

Granted there's a $10 charge per month for the service which gets used a couple times per month at most, but I'm ok with it.

Reactions: onFIRE

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
As a new parent, it feels like I’m misplacing my phone all the time. Both of my hands often aren’t free since I’m frequently holding my child. I don’t want to carry my phone in my pocket since it is kinda of bulky and uncomfortable, but I do want my wife to be able to reach me or have the ability to make calls / texts, use Find My, and see my calendar. I’ve been using an Apple Watch with GPS only but now I’m thinking that an Apple Watch with cellular would be pretty convenient. I’m curious, any other parents out there using an Apple Watch with cellular and getting a lot of value out of it?

Hiya,

A good question, many thanks for posing it!

I'm thinking along the same lines, but specifically for my other half who does not have a smart watch at all.

I'm actually hoping any mothers on this forum using the apple watch can advise of how they are finding; sending texts, making calls, Apple Pay etc. while out and about, using the watch instead of the mobile. Does it actually work ok when man handling the baby about?!

The other concern is if her bag is stolen, i.e. A distracted mum target in a busy mall etc. - At least with cellular she will be able to make calls, and even pay the cab to get her and the baby home etc.

However, a monthly cellular charge is steep on top of everything else. Perhaps only turn on when on vacation?

Best wishes
Martin

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Hiya,

A good question, many thanks for posing it!

I'm thinking along the same lines, but specifically for my other half who does not have a smart watch at all.

I'm actually hoping any mothers on this forum using the apple watch can advise of how they are finding; sending texts, making calls, Apple Pay etc. while out and about, using the watch instead of the mobile. Does it actually work ok when man handling the baby about?!

The other concern is if her bag is stolen, i.e. A distracted mum target in a busy mall etc. - At least with cellular she will be able to make calls, and even pay the cab to get her and the baby home etc.

However, a monthly cellular charge is steep on top of everything else. Perhaps only turn on when on vacation?

Best wishes
Martin

Cell service isn’t needed for Apply Pay. If you get the cellular watch but do not activate it then she will be able to pay for the taxi, will be able to call 911 in an emergency, but you won’t have that additional monthly burden.

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
oh wow. I didn’t know about about being able to call 911 in an emergency even if the cell service for the watch isn’t activated. That’s cool!

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Cell service isn’t needed for Apply Pay. If you get the cellular watch but do not activate it then she will be able to pay for the taxi, will be able to call 911 in an emergency, but you won’t have that additional monthly burden.
Hi Howard,

Thanks for the reply.

911 - thanks for the tip!

Can I check though - Does Apple Pay work though, if not in the range of the iPhone. (E.g. phone nicked.)

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
oh wow. I didn’t know about about being able to call 911 in an emergency even if the cell service for the watch isn’t activated. That’s cool!
Yea this is great, the only time I'm without my phone I'm on a run for an hour or two and am happy to be out of contact from pests like work. It is good to know if anything happens to me or if a passing stranger needs urgent assistance then I have an option. Same with my cycling if I crash and smash my phone I have another option.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.