Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRTba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
Hi all,
I have a 2011 iMac (i5, 20gb ram, 1tb ssd) which is still powerful enough for me, but is now obsolete in the eyes of Apple. I need to use Logic Pro X for work but it’s not compatible with my iMac (running High Sierra). Alas, I’m looking to buy a new computer (ouch), but this got me thinking about configuration. Is there any point upgrading (for £450) to i9 9th gen over the i5 8th gen if the lifespan of software support is dictated by age and not hardware?
Any advice appreciated. Currently looking at iMac 27” mid range with small ssd (separate 1tb external drive) and diy ram upgrade (rather than Apple store ram upgrade. TIA

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Hi all,
I have a 2011 iMac (i5, 20gb ram, 1tb ssd) which is still powerful enough for me, but is now obsolete in the eyes of Apple. I need to use Logic Pro X for work but it’s not compatible with my iMac (running High Sierra). Alas, I’m looking to buy a new computer (ouch), but this got me thinking about configuration. Is there any point upgrading (for £450) to i9 9th gen over the i5 8th gen if the lifespan of software support is dictated by age and not hardware?
Any advice appreciated. Currently looking at iMac 27” mid range with small ssd (separate 1tb external drive) and diy ram upgrade (rather than Apple store ram upgrade. TIA

If the machine is powerful enough for you, and your only issue is the OS, have you thought about upgrading to a GPU with Metal support, so you can run Catalina? There is a mega-thread on that.

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Hi all,

The fact you are even asking this question means that you don't need i9. Btw Apple supports OS based on year of manufacture not by what CPU is inside. Meaning that when time comes, the 2019 model will be marked obsolete with i5 and i9 as well.

JRTba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
The fact you are even asking this question means that you don't need i9. Btw Apple supports OS based on year of manufacture not by what CPU is inside. Meaning that when time comes, the 2019 model will be marked obsolete with i5 and i9 as well.
That’s perfect, thank you. I didn’t want to blow ££ if regardless of specification Apple deem the age of the computer the determining factor.
Cheers.

Reactions: nihil0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.