Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
I found a good deal on eBay for a 2015 15" MBP. It cones with a 30 day return. But i was wondering if there are certain things to look for when buying a used computer? For example, can they somehow load some software to track my data or steal it? Or for macs is that pretty much impossible? Can i do some sort of software reset to 'clean out' the mac before first time use? Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
I hate buying from anywhere but apple itself. Just scared i throw away money.
Yeah i totally agree and have previously purchased all my apple offerings from Apple directly. But i was so looking forward to getting my first mac with today's release, only to be disappointed. So i still want a mac, but with better value and without having to buy a bunch of dongles!! And With its 30 return window, i am very tempted...

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Yeah i totally agree and have previously purchased all my apple offerings from Apple directly. But i was so looking forward to getting my first mac with today's release, only to be disappointed. So i still want a mac, but with better value and without having to buy a bunch of dongles!! And With its 30 return window, i am very tempted...
Check the family, maybe someone with an educational discount could help you buy a refurbished product. I have a feeling a whole new bunch of them will start showing up around christmas

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I found a good deal on eBay for a 2015 15" MBP. It cones with a 30 day return. But i was wondering if there are certain things to look for when buying a used computer? For example, can they somehow load some software to track my data or steal it? Or for macs is that pretty much impossible? Can i do some sort of software reset to 'clean out' the mac before first time use? Hope this makes sense. Thanks.
Your safe!

eBay and PayPal will take care of you if any problems occur. Good job on saving $$ - I'm proud of you :)

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Check the family, maybe someone with an educational discount could help you buy a refurbished product. I have a feeling a whole new bunch of them will start showing up around christmas
Does the educational discount apply to refurb? I do work for the local school district...

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Oops, I just checked.
I went to apple.com > refurbished, picked their best imac : $3,399.00
Then went to shop for college > refurbished (url showed it was still edu site), picked the same one : $3,399.00

No price difference.

Btw, if the DUTCH apple store would have that imac, 32gb ram and 1tb ssd .. 4ghz for $3,399.00 , even in EURO, I would buy it for 3400 euro RIGHT NOW .. but we have like 1 product under refurbished on any day, and it's usually the ipad pro.

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Oops, I just checked.
I went to apple.com > refurbished, picked their best imac : $3,399.00
Then went to shop for college > refurbished (url showed it was still edu site), picked the same one : $3,399.00

No price difference.

Btw, if the DUTCH apple store would have that imac, 32gb ram and 1tb ssd .. 4ghz for $3,399.00 , even in EURO, I would buy it for 3400 euro RIGHT NOW .. but we have like 1 product under refurbished on any day, and it's usually the ipad pro.
Good idea to price compare between refurb and edu discount. On the website now!

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012

Hold command option r on startup, format disk and then reinstall

Reactions: Tofupunch

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Good idea to price compare between refurb and edu discount. On the website now!
One thing I noticed in the Dutch store, the iMac apple care went from 180 euro to 100 euro under edu discount.
And the macbook apple care is like 350 euro and 245 euro under EDU discount. Worth to consider buying at the same time.

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Bh photo actually is selling a new 2015 15" for $1799 ($200 off reg price)?! Will read the fine print...
I was comparing refurb + apple care vs. edu price for same model. It was actually cheaper to get a brand new one for the edu price. But something in me doesnt want to give money to apple for now outdated tech sold for same price (even if it's with the edu price). Shows how much their pricing strategy is leaving a sour taste in my mouth :( If this bh photo price checks out, i might jump on it!

Edit: i guess money is still going to them either way...but a little less so? I'd rather buy used but the uncertainty prevents me.

Last edited:

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
B&H may offer AppleCare and bid discount if purchased with MBP
Apple Care is $50 off. Plus no sales tax and free shipping. I would be saving almost $500! Close to buying...
[doublepost=1477631530][/doublepost]I mean i know it's a mid 2015 computer but it's not that HUGE of a difference right? It's primarily for my Lightroom/Photoshop needs. Obviously i want to future proof it but i think it's a capable enough machine. Thoughts? Think this is a good deal?

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
The only way I would buy one off of ebay is if it still had Apple Care.

I picked up a mint condition base model mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro today for $1350 shipped. About 60 charge cycles which isn't anything to be concerned about because it has AppleCare on it until April 2019. I'm very excited. Would've cost me $2550 ish out of pocket yesterday for this set up.

Reactions: Tofupunch

dest

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
UK
I got my 2011 MBP off a private seller on eBay after searching long and hard.
It was in mint condition with all original packaging and still had some Apple Care left.
I've not had a single problem with it and am currently typing on it now :)

Reactions: Floris

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I got my 2011 MBP off a private seller on eBay after searching long and hard.
It was in mint condition with all original packaging and still had some Apple Care left.
I've not had a single problem with it and am currently typing on it now :)
So it is possible!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.