Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
I am just trying to see if anyone has successfully purchased a Canon 5D Mark II with no dust in the view finder. I purchased one, had dust in the view finder and took it back. I just got my second one and of course it is worse than the first one. So, now I shooting for a third one.

I know cameras can always be cleaned, but I would expect to receive a clean camera after paying $2900 (with tax) for a brand new camera.

I just want to see if anyone has purchased one with no dust in the viewfinder. Maybe my expectations are too high!

xyznd

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2005
Are you sure it's not on your lens (front or rear element)? My 5D mII was fine. Maybe you just have bad luck.

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Are you sure it's not on your lens (front or rear element)? My 5D mII was fine. Maybe you just have bad luck.

I probably just have bad luck. I did check my lens front and rear element. I even tried other lenses. I hope the third time is a charm!

Martster

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2008
Van Diemen's Land
it took 2 to tango

My first 5D2 had huge lumps of matt-black paint in the viewfinder.
Took it back and the seller agreed it was unacceptable, so new camera.
Checked that one out in the shop, and to my surprise, and to the dealers, this one had crap in the viewfinder too, although much smaller and finer chunks, and only two of them. It is a much better build of camera than the first - CF door is tight etc, anyway the upshot is that I kept the second camera. The crap is small, off center and really only noticeable when being searched for. Canon has some quality control issues, no doubt; but having said that the camera is sublime and so is the image quality.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
No dust in my viewfinder however instead of taking the camera back I would suggest learning to clean it because you will get dust in the viewfinder always.

Usually the dust is actually located on the focusing screen which you can see if you take the lens off. It sits above the mirror and is a small plastic screen. Using a loupe helps to see the dust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.