Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Apple & Mac friends.

Could you recommend a very cost-effective but durable 1TB external SSD drive for USB 3.0 (Late 2015 5K iMac). It doesn't have to be fast, just durable and just 1TB. It can also be those M.2 SSD in a SATA adapter or it can be just a durable 1TB SSD drive that can be plugged into a into my USB external enclosure, so that it's as cheap but durable for backup as possible. Could you name the brand and model? I plan to use Time Machine with it.

Thank you.
God bless, Revelation 21:4

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello Apple & Mac friends.

Could you recommend a very cost-effective but durable 1TB external SSD drive for USB 3.0 (Late 2015 5K iMac). It doesn't have to be fast, just durable and just 1TB. It can also be those M.2 SSD in a SATA adapter or it can be just a durable 1TB SSD drive that can be plugged into a into my USB external enclosure, so that it's as cheap but durable for backup as possible. Could you name the brand and model? I plan to use Time Machine with it.

Thank you.
God bless, Revelation 21:4

Micron/Samsung/Intel 2.5" SATA SSDs salvaged from decommissioned servers.

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Thanks. It's still a bit expensive.

How about this SanDisk PLUS Solid State Drive, SDSSDA-1T00, 1TB, SR535/SW450MB/s, 3Y it's about 400MB/s read but it's SanDisk which I think is durable (speed is not a priority).

It's about US$ 88.17 w/ shipping.

Reactions: phrehdd

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you want a "bare" drive?
Or... a drive in an enclosure that's ready-to-use?

I'd suggest:
- an nvme blade SSD
and
- a USB3.1 gen2 enclosure.

Some of these enclosures just snap together.
A USB3.1 gen2 enclosure will give you read speeds around 825MBps, writes probably up around 600MBps.

Reactions: Alvin777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.