Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Los Angeles
We're using one of the older Airport Extreme models (A1143 – A1354) in conjunction with an AT&T router at the office. The router only has 1 wireless network radio and we have it set for a 2.4ghz network (for our printer an older devices) while the Airport is in Bridge Mode and running a 5ghz network.

The last couple of days the Airport's wireless network has dropped out with no warning. The light on the unit stays green and no errors are reported in Airport Utility –– until you try to configure it and it says it "cannot be found." Only unplugging it and restarting it will being it back.

The setup has been working for a couple years and we haven't changed anything lately so can I assume the unit is dying? It's probably 8-10 years old. Anything else I can try, troubleshooting wise before we toss it?

TIA,
D

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Los Angeles
You could try a reset. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201945

I would start with a Hard Reset, restore the settings and see if that resolves it, if not, try a Factory Reset and manually reconfigure it.

Thanks for this! I've tried all the various resets, still getting dropped connections. The odd is that it will lose connectivity, but then if you switch networks and come back to it then it's working again. I wonder if something has changed with at AT&T router, like it's messing with the Bridge? I may try giving the Airport a static IP next. But again this was all working a month ago so I worry this is just a failing unit...

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Since devices would get DHCP from the ATT router, I wonder if there is a lease time issue, or some parameter like a refresh interval is being set by the router that is not aligned with the AP Extremes.

If your DHCP scope is large enough to handle longer idle intervals, maybe try setting DHCP Lease duration to a longer period on the ATT Router?

A different router might be worth considering, one that can do dual band and either get rid of the Extremes, or make one of the Extremes the primary router? Anytime you mix and match, you run the risks of little glitches.

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Los Angeles
A different router might be worth considering, one that can do dual band and either get rid of the Extremes, or make one of the Extremes the primary router? Anytime you mix and match, you run the risks of little glitches.

Yeah if I'm buying used I may look at one of the newer routers that does dual-band. The AT&T service we're on is their older DSL option and it doesn't look like they're selling any newer modems to replace what we have. Running the the modem at 2.4 and then setting the Airport for 5ghz was a kludge to get dual networks running with the gear we already had.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
If the ATT router is a modem combo unit, you may be able to set it in bridge mode and use Airport as the router. What is the make and model of the ATT unit?

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Motorola NVG510

Found the manual here.

This unit does support bridge mode, Found an article on ATT forums that seems to fit your situation almost to the T.

If you are using the phone capabilities, not sure if bridge mode will defeat that, but then who really uses home phone service anymore?

In essence, putting the Motorola unit into bridge mode will make it a modem only, and your AE can be setup as a router. As a router, the AE will manage DHCP, and all of the wireless for your network, and the Motorola WiFi will be disabled. So, you would want the AE to broadcast both 2.4 and 5Ghz signals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.